Hen being attacked by the rest of the flock

herechickychicky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Marion
Hi all! I have one Roo and seven hens. One of the hens has a few feathers missing from her back, I had assumed it was caused by the Roo when he mounts her. Yesterday, I noticed that he's been trying to "run her out". She was walking along outside the run, and I happened to spot him beeline right for her and started to chase her around the run, even though they were separated by the fence. Today, it was the same thing, except this time, all of the other chickens cornered her and started to attack her. All of them!! I ran out and got them separated, I locked the poor little thing into the coop and locked the cannibals out.

My question is, could there be something wrong with her that they can just "tell", that isn't apparent to me? They were getting along just fine (even though she's at the bottom of the pecking order) up until just a few days ago. Now it looks like some sort of chicken horror movie, they act like they want to kill her!

Hi all! I have one Roo and seven hens. One of the hens has a few feathers missing from her back, I had assumed it was caused by the Roo when he mounts her. Yesterday, I noticed that he's been trying to "run her out". She was walking along outside the run, and I happened to spot him beeline right for her and started to chase her around the run, even though they were separated by the fence. Today, it was the same thing, except this time, all of the other chickens cornered her and started to attack her. All of them!! I ran out and got them separated, I locked the poor little thing into the coop and locked the cannibals out.

My question is, could there be something wrong with her that they can just "tell", that isn't apparent to me? They were getting along just fine (even though she's at the bottom of the pecking order) up until just a few days ago. Now it looks like some sort of chicken horror movie, they act like they want to kill her!
Possible there may be something about her they don't like. I suggest you seperate her for about a month and then return her to the flock. There will be a pecking order squabble, but if she stands up for herself, the flock dynamics will have changed and she may be accepted. Your other option is to get rid of her. That's up to you........Pop

I have her separated already, she's got a gash in her neck from their attack. I set up a dog crate in our mudroom for her until at the very least, I can get her neck healed. She ate some eggs I cooked up for her, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I plan on keeping her separated for a while, and sort of gradually introduce her back into the flock and see how it goes like that.

It's just strange to me how, even though she's been at the bottom all this time, why they would corner her like that and just have their way with her. This is my first rodeo with chickens, so I have no idea what could be going on. They really looked like they wanted to eat her alive! Poor little thing....

That's a tough one. I have had to re-home a hen in the past because she was quarantined for an extended period of time due to an injury. I could never get the flock to take her back after she was released from quarantine. I tried for nearly a month of slow integration, but every time the fence was pulled down to allow her back into the flock, they would jump on her. I ended up re-homing her for her safety.

I would love to hear how this story turns out. Keep us updated on her progress.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom