Hen being bullied and hurt by other hens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by horsegooroo15, Aug 29, 2010.

1. horsegooroo15

horsegooroo15 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    This morning when i went to collect eggs, i noticed my hen freckles, who is normally the most scared of people, was just standing there without running away. At a closer look i saw that her face was all bloody and she is missing and eye. Also, she has a ton of scrapes on her legs. She is a buttercup hen, which are close to the fighting rooster breed and can commonly be rough with other chickens, but i have never had that problem with her. She didnt run away from me and when she tried to walk the other chickens ran over and stated flaring their feathers at her. I put her in a rabbit cage inside by herself to give her some time away from the other hens. I know it might be stressful for her to be alone but all the other hens where fighting with her. I need help asap!!!

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry. Seperating her was a good thing. Not sure next step. Anyone?

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    sorry this has happened to your hen. she will have to be seperated forever or atleast until her cuts/scraps heal. how is she doing? update us when you can.
    this has happened to my hen too, a cochin, and she wasnt pecked where blood has appeared.
    but she did go back with the others, and so far is doing fine.
    once there is blood, the others will attack her. i am sorry to say. [​IMG]
    good luck to you.

andrea-

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have an EE separated for the same thing. Her scrapes have healed and will soon go back with the others. What I plan to do is bring out one of my bossier hens to be her buddy for about a week, till they are well bonded. Once they've bonded I am going to put them both back in with the others. I'll let you know how this works.

Jenny

5. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Awww! That is so terrible! Hens can be so mean. Separating her was a good idea so she can heal and get back her strength. I don't know if this will work for you, but often works for me. If I notice a certain hen being picked on more than usual, I will put her in the "top spot" on the roost at night. They will peck out their order every night and the meanest hen gets the best spot. When they're all up to roost I put the weakest ones in the best spot and put the mean one on the end. I will do this for at least a week and it usually works.

Also she may have already become ill and they took advantage of this weakness and picked on her. When she's all better, put her in the coop at night while they're all asleep. They will reestablish the pecking order the next day so keep an eye on her. If they pick on her again then I'd say you have a house chicken.

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Have done the "prime location" on the roost thing with my birds also... I do think that it helps. Also adding her back in at night and in a prime location is a good idea, but be up early to make sure everything is ok.

7. ChIck3n

ChIck3n Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Texas A&M
    If you can, keep her separate but still able to see/be seen by the other birds. Be sure to watch for infection, especially if she lost an eye. After she heals up, you can try reintroducing her. Just put some no-pick on her and make sure they don't gang up on her. There will always be a bird on the bottom of the pecking order, but not usually to this extent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by