Hen being bullied

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starlacestar, Feb 9, 2017.

1. starlacestar

starlacestar New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    I have one hen is on the lowest pecking order. I just introduced two new roosters and now she is being bullied extremely with all the hens and rooster too. I had to separate her due to injury to her neck. Now she is terrified and just want to be with me all day. How do i fix this? I know I have to wait until her wound is healed but I'm afraid if I put her back it will just happen again. She is super scared of everything. She as always been like that but she is super gentle and very friendly.

2. TexasTransplant

TexasTransplant Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How many hens do you have? How many roosters? How are they being housed? How old are all of your chickens? Do they free range at all? What are the dimensions of your coop and run? Do you have multiple feeding and watering stations? Hideouts? How do you plan to reintegrate her? Have you considered finding her a new home if you think she'll be forever bullied where you are?

4. starlacestar

starlacestar New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    I have 5 hens and two rooster....currently trying to sell one of the roosters. They have a massive area to run around in. Probably overr 1000+ sf it is fenced off so they do not have access to the rest of the yard unless i open thier gate. They have tons of trees, bushes, and hiding spots. I even hang cabbage from a string, which they love. Right now i just keep my bullied chicken on the yard side. So they can still see each other and still interact even though my sweet bullied one wants nothing to do with them. I put her on the roosting bar with the others at night and they dont seem to mind until the morning. Then i have to seperate her again. I think it is stress because of introducing two new roosters. One of the roosters mounted my bullied one and gave her a bad cut on her neck....they all saw blood and they allllllllllll attacked her. Thats when i isolated her.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's your problem, get rid of them or keep them confined away from the hens.
    Getting your injured hen back into the flock, or getting rid of her, is the next problem to solve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by