Hen being mean to chick??

Big Mama K

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Fort Branch
My Polish hen just hatched her first egg this morning. She seemed kinda grouchy with it this morning! Well it is moving around more thie evening and she acts irritated with it! She rattles at it and fluffs up when it walks around or tries to get under her! Then I noticed her pecking at it's body and feet! I am new to chickens and hatching so I don't know what to do! I feel I should take it away but I also feel I should give her a chance! What should I do??

Oh I don't know if this matters but this egg was from another hen who quit sitting last week. This hen moved over to her box and started sitting on these eggs instead of her own, which I placed in her box and she tucked them under her! The 1st hen's eggs are due this week...Moe's are do next week! Do you think she knows that he eggs aren't due to next week and understand why she is having babies now??

My BCM did the same thing. Is there alot of noise or commotion around it? I placed my hen and her 3 babies in a small coop and let her be, everyone is fine to this day and even though she was grumpy all the time she did a fine job. Just put her somewhere quiet and watch her she will more then likely get the job done.

I made sure that all the other chickens, cats and people left her alone! Everyone was just so excited today about one of the eggs hatching so be checked on her a lot! Plus I think she was hot (temp 105 today) stressed and really irritable! I put up dividers so the other chickens stop peeking it, I have limited my visits (which is really hard!) and I put a low running fan on her about four feet away! She seems like she has calmed down and the chick he still alive so I am gonna let her be tonight and make sure I check her 1st thing in the morning and then every several hours in stead of every 30 minutes!! Thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom