Hen being mean to chick??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Big Mama K, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Big Mama K

Big Mama K Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    My Polish hen just hatched her first egg this morning. She seemed kinda grouchy with it this morning! Well it is moving around more thie evening and she acts irritated with it! She rattles at it and fluffs up when it walks around or tries to get under her! Then I noticed her pecking at it's body and feet! I am new to chickens and hatching so I don't know what to do! I feel I should take it away but I also feel I should give her a chance! What should I do??

Oh I don't know if this matters but this egg was from another hen who quit sitting last week. This hen moved over to her box and started sitting on these eggs instead of her own, which I placed in her box and she tucked them under her! The 1st hen's eggs are due this week...Moe's are do next week! Do you think she knows that he eggs aren't due to next week and understand why she is having babies now??

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Is this her first brood? The pecking may be out of curiosity as she doesn't know what this little thing crawling around her is haha. As long as she isn't drawing blood or breaking through the skin, she should be ok, but still keep an eye out. My on birds to set were my Silkies (and still do frequently) so I wouldn't know how a Polish hen should act while brooding. Maybe someone else could help you.

3. Big Mama K

Big Mama K Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    yes, this is her first brood and mine!! She hasn't caused any bleeding or broke through skin but she is being very aggressive! Maybe it is just beacuse it is so hot out and is irritated! I am going to keep an eye on her to make sure that I don't need to take the chick away! Thanks for your advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by