Hen being nasty

Kt S C

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2021
So I have had my chickens for almost a full year now. I have one who is a those island red who just seem to have a temper. I’m ready to just get rid of her and she also picks on one of my Brahmas. What I want to know is if this if normal for a Rhode Island Red hen as I have two other but they don’t seem to be like her. I mean she will go after anything that it’s out through their oen, goes after my shoes and tonight grabbed a hold of my finger and I was just standing there and she jumped up.

It has been my experience with feed store/hatchery quality RIR (which are actually production Reds). I got rid of mine as I was tired of the drama.

I've heard good things about breeder quality RIRs, though.

Obviously any breed will have those who are grumpy and those who are relaxed tempered. So, look to the individual birds. But feedstore/hatchery birds are selected for production, not temperament, and I've had bad temperaments in all my Production Reds.

My thoughts.
LofMc

I mean she will go after anything that it’s out through their oen, goes after my shoes and tonight grabbed a hold of my finger and I was just standing there and she jumped up.
Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.
I have held her down before. I just worry I have a young son who loves being with the chickens but I won’t let him now with her being this way. I’ll try pecking her back and see if that helps.

I have 4 white leghorns, 8 barred rock, 8 Wyandotte, and 8 Rhode Island Reds. All 8 of the Rhode Island Reds are evil and cause a lot of drama. I have not found that pecking them back or holding them down has helped at all. They are 18 weeks old. They pick on all the other hens even blocking the door so they can’t get in the coop and chasing them out when they do. On their way out soon. Would not recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom