hen being picked on?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HiddenBrookAcres, Feb 27, 2012.

1. HiddenBrookAcres

HiddenBrookAcres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I have a flock of hens that have been together since hatch, a year now. Today all of them started to single out one hen and peck at her. I have her separated, in the coop, for tonight because she has a spot on her back that is raw from the pecking.

I know that sometimes they will do this out of boredom or limited space but they have lots of room to roam and I try to supply fresh veggies and other things for them to pick at throughout the day. I did notice the injured hen and another trying to squeeze into the same nesting boxes this morning. There are 5 nesting spots for 15 hens yet they continued to move from box to box pushing and pecking at each other.

Any suggestions for me?

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    I would suggest more nesting boxes! [​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Three hens per box is under the commonly suggested amount. If you don't have decoy eggs in the boxes try that.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Try putting bluekote or pick no more on the picked on hen.

5. HiddenBrookAcres

HiddenBrookAcres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I put golf balls in the nesting boxes a few months back and that worked. I let the hens out to free range but only if I am outside with them. Sounds crazy but we live in the woods and the hawks and other predators come out as soon as the hens leave the run. I tried the blu kote and so far so good. thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by