Hen (Big Mama) acting so strange, heart breaking.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamato8chicks, Dec 2, 2017.

1. mamato8chicks

mamato8chicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    My alpha Hen, Big Mama, has been acting so strange today. Big Mama is a 4-6 year (we are second owner of just over a year) old Orpington hen. She’s beautiful and i just adore her.

Today out of nowhere she jumped on top of the coop and just started doing this random cluck, so weird i got up to see what was wrong. She would walk from one side of the coop (on the roof) to the other, looking all over it like she was trying to get in but couldn’t (she can get in just fine normally).

I got in the run and got her off the coop to check if there was something in the coop she might have been upset about, there was nothing, so i left. She started up again, i went back in, picked her up and put her inside of the coop. She then proceeded to stir up the litter and just peck at the coop floor. She did this about 20 mins and found her way to the nesting box where she is just sitting, quietly. She normally has a voistorous laying cluck. Everyone knows when Big Mama is laying.

Anyways, i am just worried and would love to get any suggestions/advice/opinions on what could be going on with my girl.

Just a few basic answers:
    1. We live in GA, and haven’t had a HUGE weather change.
    2. She is still actively laying (as of yesterday)
    3. There have been no direct changes made to their living arrangements.
    4. She has never acted like this in the year we’ve had her.
    5. No i can’t ask previous owner, because unfortunately she just passed away a few days ago (weird right).

Thank you

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    Serving Jesus
    My Coop
    It sounds as if she is just getting ready to lay an egg.

3. chickens really

chickens really True BYC Addict

She wanted that box being used by another Hen...

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    My first thought was she is going broody.....?
    [​IMG]

5. chickens really

If Broody. she would plant her butt in that nest and not move even if a brick fell on her.. They move if needing to poop...eat , water..

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I said going broody. Some hens, especially older hens, have strange behavior when the hormones first hit. They search for the perfect spot, sit a few hours, change their mind, move to another spot. Some will vocalize in a strange voice-kinda like a strangled crow. I had one just recently tried out several different boxes and she growled and jabbed with her beak as she moved about. Once she selected her box she then proceeded to bring stuff to the nest box: dead grass,feathers, a piece of white paper (what was that about? Was she being artistic or something?). I tried to video this behavior but my coop was too dark. And she was not happy when I blocked access to her chosen box.

But you are right in that once they are broody they ain't going nowhere! The broody screech is something Stephen King would back away from.

7. mamato8chicks

Mar 20, 2017
    Not her normal laying behavior

8. mamato8chicks

Mar 20, 2017
    Box wasn’t being used at the time

9. mamato8chicks

Mar 20, 2017
    They always have plenty of water and food. These are my babies.

10. chickens really

Your confused or I am?....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by