Hen bleeding from wings this am (PICS)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by demp4, Dec 28, 2010.

1. demp4

demp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Central NY
    I went out to let the hens out this morning and one of ours (leghorn and something cross) looks like she got feathers pulled out. Yesterday she looked like her wings were molting and had one spot of blood but didn't think anything of it because I have seen it in the summer in my hens. and a new feather comes in and they were fine...

Except this morning it looks like maybe another hen pecked at her?? Both wings have blood but the left one being much worse than the right. I brought her inside and put her in our inside dog crate. Is there anything else I can do naturally for her? We don't use antibiotics... This is the same hen who was prolapsed last month and I decided not to cull her and she healed within a week.. poor girl!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It probably looks worse than what it really is. Clean it up with warm water and apply some Blue Kote, if you have some. If you don't, it should clot up itself. If you don't use the Blue Kote, keep her separated until it heals. The red will attract the others and make them peck at it again.

Also, picking has several causes, but the most common I have found is boredom and/or overcrowding. Try adding something in their run for them to peck out, such as a flock block, a head of cabbage, etc.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That's definitely damage from another bird picking at her. She will need to be cleaned up and Blukoted to cover the blood and wounds. The others will continue to pick at her if they can see blood. If you can isolate her while she heals that may be a good thing. I hate isolating birds, but I think in this instance it may be necessary. I'd try to locate the culprits and see if this is going to be an increasingly common occurrence. Is there any other signs of picking going on?

4. demp4

Jul 31, 2009
    Central NY
    I don't have Blue Kote but will keep her isolated until she is healed or at least not bleeding... Its most likely boredom more than over crowding as we have a coop large enough for 12+ hens and we only have 8... Its been REALLY cold and windy and they have been staying in the top of the chicken tractor all day (they can come out if they want but only do for short stints then go back up.

Will have to get a head of cabbage or flock block (don't know exactly where I can get that though)... Does TSC have them?

No others signs of pecking going on at all.... and this is a first occurrence like this (except when I introduced a new rescued bird (different one) a month ago but I isolated and introduced her more slowly)

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Flock Block is made by Purina. Before you head out, call around to your feed stores to see if they have it. You can also make your own if you have the materials.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=111647

Suet blocks for wild birds will also do the trick. They are generally less expensive, too. Ours like the type with the sunflower seeds in it.

6. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    TSC does have flock block. They are like $12. Your's may have bluecoat also.

7. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    TSC has flock blocks by Purina. If they don't have them at yours you can always try a BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) suet for wild birds. I also like to throw scratch or cracked corn in the coop all over the floor so they scratch for it when they are locked in. You can also get freeze dried mealworms which mine LOVE and sprinkle them all over the coop. Anything to keep them interested in something other than her wound if possible. If you are going to TSC I would pick up blue kote also. It is relativle inexpensive and a GREAT thing to keep on hand. Best of luck with her!!!

8. demp4

Jul 31, 2009
    Central NY
    I will make one today since heading out isn't possible this am. THANKS FOR THE TIPS!

Next time I am out at TSC or other local feed store I will get Blue Kote.

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Definitely get Blukote. Whenever you need it you can have it on hand. You will be surprised how often it comes in handy once you have it around.

Good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by