Hen bleeding near vent!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenKid11, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    One of my hens have been laying bloody eggs for a week or two.......[​IMG] I found out which hen it was and she was not bleeding in the vent but in a corner of it!!! What can I do please help?!?!

2. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Is she getting pecked around the vent by other hens(not on the tissue of the vent)? First, you should probably seperate her from the others in crate or something. Dab off the blood and it will probably clot on its own. If you can give more information or a picture, that would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

3. LooneyGoonie

LooneyGoonie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    I just had a hen prolapse from an injury to the vent. She had been pecked on the vent and I think it injured the muscle at the opening to the vent allowing it to prolapse. I used Preparation H to keep the area moist for the prolapse and it seemed to help heal the injured area too. You might give that a shot.

4. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    They are pecking her but now I am more worried about a prolapse what do I do if that happens??????????? I am sorry I can not post pics.[​IMG]

5. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    Anyone??????????

6. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Spray the area with blukote - that not only is an antiseptic, but it will change the color so it's not RED - they'll peck the red. It should last for a couple of days - however, in this case, I would spray her twice a day to make sure for the first couple of days. Can you separate her for a few days???

7. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    I have separated and she has droppings that clotted up the bloody area.......[​IMG] anything I can do for that I have not had a prolapse "YET".......[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  8. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Give her a nice spa soak in warm water and clean the area of the droppings. Coat the wound with neosporin and repeat daily or even twice a day. Try to not rub off any scabs that form. Once you think she's on her way to healing, spray her with the blukote and put her back with the others. It could be 4 or 5 days.

9. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    Thank you all!!!!!!!![​IMG]

10. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    UPDATE: The hen is going OK after the bath and neosporin.......... she has not layed an egg today. I dont know about her......[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by