Hen bleeding out her mouth. Happy update--She's O.K.!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bwebb7, Nov 4, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I had a friend give me his last two hens. The others picked off 2 by 2 by a predator, he started with 16. A rir & br.
    I have had them in a pen by themselves for a couple of weeks and they are healthy. I treated them for mites (DE) as over the summer some of his birds were in horrible shape-feathers missing from butts etc. These looked OK but why take the chance?
    Well I then had them over the coop in an enclosure for 2 days. So I thought I would put them in with general population this evening. The br was being harassed horribly and she seemed to be gasping for air. I thought she was gonna have a heart attack so I picked her up and dropped a drop of water in her mouth. She was then choking and so I turned her upside down and blood came out! she choked and gasped and coughed and a little more blood came out.
    What did I do?
    How can I help her?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I have put her and her friend in a large dog crate just outside the coop. Should I do something else?

3. Madison Farms

Madison Farms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Escalon, Ca.
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't really have answer for you but I had a RIR rooster get in a fight with my BR roo. He damaged his throat, He was all wheezy and couldn't crow, sounded like a bad cough. My husband massaged his throat cuz we could feel a knot on it and in a few days he was ok.

Was it just a little blood? Or alot and still hasn't stopped?

4. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    It was just a little blood but the wheezing/gasping is persistent?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Look under her feathers really well for any sign of a puncture wound. Check her mouth and throat for injury. With her gasping and so forth, it makes me think the throat area or an air sac. Bleeding from the mouth is not a good sign at all and would have to be from injury or illness. Good luck with her.

6. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I'll check her mouth out-It could be now that I think about the wire up in that temp pen. I peeled it up to let them out when THEY were ready. There was a raw edge on the bottom that she could have injured herself on.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    How is she this morning? Find anything?

8. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Sorry, I didn't have time to post this am-She is good! I guess I over reacted when I found her. She was in such distress! It is so good to see her feeling better.
    Thanks for asking:)
    I don't see anything wrong on her. She is eating well and drinking. I gave her a little aspirin in the water and some honey too. Tonite it is plain water. She is still with her friend. I will re-introduce them to the flock Saturday when I have the luxury of hanging out with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by