Hen Bra????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rebelcowboysnb, Oct 20, 2011.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

[​IMG] I understand the back protectors an even though I will never have a house chicken I can at least see the market for chicken diapers.

Now have you seen the new ad yet? Its selling bird bras to hold there crops.... [​IMG] I just about fell over. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Oh dear...

maybe for those with "less than perky" crops?

Or an over-endowed crop? LOL

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That has an actual purpose, though. It's for pendulous crops such as is about to kill my blue Orp hen. I hate to call it a "bra", yeah, more like a crop supporter. The BBS Orps are very prone to the condition.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Why not just have distinct feeding times?

Feed small amounts twice a day? It would stop the pendulum from developing.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Did you buy one or make your own? If you made your own, how did you? I have a JG who has a pendulous crop and I think it blocks her digestion or it's stretched out and she's hungry til she fills it, which is too much.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't have one on her, never had one. I was just saying that the crop bra has a real, serious purpose. Smoky's crop hangs no matter what is in it or not in it. It's bad musculature there, not too much feed. It doesn't bounce back. Had to do surgery to empty it and she is in recovery, but it's not looking very good. If I lose her, it will be the 3rd blue Orp hen I've lost to crop issues.

I have thought about limited feed, but no others have the problem. It's just her. She needs a crop tuck, like a tummy tuck, I guess, if she even survives.

7. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I've got a bra/saddle combo because one of the 'dotte hens just loses her feathers if you look at her cross eyed. The roo isn't even nasty or mean to her (I do NOT tolerate a mean roo in the least), if anything with the saddle, he's more careful with her. But she's in molt now, so she has NO feathers. It's sad looking. So she got a bra to cover up some because she was just getting scratches and owies from general chicken life with nothing protecting skin.

Sisters don't have the feather problem, her feathers look fine, she acts fine, chicks from her sisters don't have feather problems. She just doesn't get to lay eggs that are hatched, she just gets to play broody hen and raises any random chicks we get. She's the only hen we have who we can get to go broody on command. Put new chicks in a brooder, put her in a pen next to them at night, by am, she's up and pacing back and forth by the brooder to mother those chicks. Let her in, she's on her babies and purring her fool head off.

Her broody talents and excellent chick raising skills are the only reason she's not in a stewpot.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:I'm thinking that the pendulum she has and the musculature prevents the food from passing down or slows it up too much. Sorry your Orp isn't looking very good recovering. It's sad that there are so many things that we can do nothing about. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by