Hen breathing heavy, won't stand or walk

alliestoehr

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
Somebody please have some insight into this!! My 3-year old Henrietta (barred rock) is very sick! Two nights ago we noticed she had injured her leg and didn't want to walk back into the coop for the night. We picked her up and put her in, thinking it was a sprain or something. Next day she still won't stand or walk, was eating and drinking fine though. She's gotten progressively worse since yesterday, she's now in my lap in a towel taking a nap.... she normally doesn't let me hold her without a fight so I feel like she's just very lethargic and hurting.
Her breathing is heavy, it's like her whole body moves with her breathing (even her tail.) We thought she was dehydrated so gave her sugar water for a couple days but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Does anyone know what I can do to help??? She doesn't really lay eggs anymore but I can't rule out that she has something in there she can't get out. I just don't know how to help her!!!

Thank you!

Try giving her an Epsom salt bath....warm water....about a quarter cup of Epsom salts and leave her in there for 15 minutes....you can google hen Epsom salt bath and there'll be better directions....hope she's okay

Back
Top Bottom