1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen breathing heavy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crc310, Dec 2, 2016.

1. crc310

crc310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    Last night I noticed our white leghorn hen breathing harder than normal. Her mouth is closed, no sounds. Her body moves as she breathes. I cannot catch her unless it's dark and she's roosting. We adopted her a year ago so not sure how old she is. She laid eggs every day until she started molting 2 mo ago. She hasn't laid since. I cleaned the coop out 3 days ago (10'x10' shed with 9 poultry). He had normal poops last night and this morning. She's eating. Her tail is fanned up. She's acting normal. I can't get near her. It's been a while since I dewormed them. I don't think I have treated for coccidiosis in a few years. They r free range. Several neighbors have free range chickens and they all mingle. My immediate neighbors chickens are doing well and so r the rest of mine. I can't figure out how to download a video of her breathing from my iPhone (no home computer). I'm going to the farm store shortly and was hoping u can direct me to what I should give her. TYIA [​IMG]
    Normal poop (sorry)
    [​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Check for something in her throat.You can feel the throat and open her mouth for anything stuck.

3. crc310

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    Thanks! I'll try that tonight. She's been eating well and not opening her mouth abnormally.

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    No problem.Check for any thing abnormal Gapeworm,Swelling,.Good luck!

5. crc310

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you! She looked the same as last night/ this morning with her breathing before I started messing with her. I don't have anyone to help me either. I wasn't able to see a lot, she fought me too much. She's never let me touch her before this, she's not very cooperative. Doesn't look like there's anything stuck. Her crop is not very big (golf ball size) and soft. When I flip her on her back, she open mouth breathes. She ran and hid under the roosts at the back of the coop where I have trouble getting her. Her tail was down (was also 1am and she had been sleeping after our fight). I managed to give her an oral dose of Tylan first. I also put Corid in their water. Will give probiotics in 5 days once antibiotic is done. If worsens before then or not better in 5 days, I'll have to find a vet (one that knows chickens cuz the one I work at doesn't). I don't have anything to treat for fungal infections. Can I use ACV and garlic right now??? Don't want to do too much at one time either! I have Wazine but haven't seen any roundworms so I haven't given it. I also have DE. Can put that in feed if necessary. Wondering if me cleaning out the coop caused this... We do have mice and the bedding got wet when the hanging waterer handle broke a few days before I cleaned out the coop. I wore a breathing mask to clean it cuz I'm worried about Hanta virus from the mice. I haven't had any problems but I'm not staying in there 12 hours a day. The other 6 hen's, rooster and guinea seem fine.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If your using DE......Possibly in her lungs....DE is not good for Birds or people.....You cleaned the coop and stirred up the dust......

Cheers!

7. crc310

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    I haven't used DE in many months. I mix it in the feed when I do.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Causes lung issues.....Why are you using it in the feed?????

It does not worm Birds...........

Anyways.....It is not healthy.........

Cheers!

9. crc310

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    The diatomaceous earth I use is food grade and has many healthy benefits internally for humans too! It's used in dust baths to get rid of external parasites. And in feed for intestinal parasites, according to everything I have ever read. I don't use it in our bedding and I our chickens use the garden for dust bathing. I don't use it there because it kills beneficial insects too.

10. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sounds like there is something wrong with her lungs.Chickens have lungs right on there back so when you put her on her back it probably made it worse.How often do you clean out the coop?.Is there enough ventilation to decreases ammonia.Can you post pics of your coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by