Hen Breathing problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeachHillFarms, Dec 6, 2013.

1. PeachHillFarms

PeachHillFarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    My poor Mille is having troubles breathing. It's been so cold out and I found her sitting on the roost sucking in air. It looks like something is in her throat by the way she moves her neck. I brought her inside to evaluate the problem.

2. PeachHillFarms

Oct 1, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    [​IMG] I stuck her in the shower since it's warm in there with a towel, water, and her favorite snack. She ate some of her banana. I think it's a respiratory problem but I don't know how to treat it.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its certainly possible that it is a respiratory disease. Are there any other symptoms, like sneezing or coughing? Definitely keep her isolated from the other birds. Give electrolytes and probiotics. Keep her warm and comfortable. If it gets worse (or doesn't show signs of getting better) after a few days, get antibiotics. Duramycin, Terramycin, and Tylan50 are all good antibiotics for respiratory diseases.

4. PeachHillFarms

Oct 1, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    All she is doing now is coughing and wheezing and she sneezes sometimes. She ate her corn I gave her but I have to hand water her. I feel so bad for her. We are snowed in right now so we can't get to the farm store and I know it's only a matter of time before she dyes. She is 5 years old now and I know she has to go soon but it's hard.

5. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    by any chance do you have any VetRX? If so, rub a few drops on her chest and mix a drop or two in her drinking water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by