1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen breathing strange

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stoneheartfarm, May 14, 2007.

1. Stoneheartfarm

Stoneheartfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    Michigan
    Hello, I have a hen that has been breathing strange for a while now. she is an older gal with a large tumor hanging off her chest. she has had that quite a while too. I am really suprised at her strenth. She wanders around acting as if nothing is wrong, exept...she stands there with her beak up and open almost gasping. I have also noticed she doesn't talk anymore, and when she tries to its quite garbled. Now I have been expecting her to give up the ghost a long time but she is a timex and keeps on ticking. This morning I noticed one of the other hens doing the open beak breathing thing just a couple of times. anyone familiar with this? Thank you in advance.

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Is it hot where your at? I'm in central florida and its been in the mid 90's and all my girls where walking around with their beaks open this weekend. So I got the sprinkler out and watered the ground for them.

3. Stoneheartfarm

Stoneheartfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    Michigan
    no this was even going on in the dead of winter . MI here. its almost like she is trying to crow and can't weird.

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Don't want to alarm you, do you think it might be gapeworm? Look it up, I think it's on here somewhere... Maybe someone has more professsional advice? Anyone?

5. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi there, I haven't had experience with gapeworms ... just can tell ya what little I know... Try to find a vet that will do fecal test. I don't think it costs too much.You need to find out what type if any parasites your hen may have.
    If she has gapes or other type of worms, here's a good link to keep handy. It's First State Vet Supply they have lots of chickens meds.
    http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/index.php?cPath=23
    Good luck, I hope she gets better.[​IMG] Miriam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by