1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen breathing strangely following dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jade4now, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Jade4now

Jade4now New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    My Black Copper Moran Hen was attacked by a dog and now breathes with a whistle sound, almost like the sound of soft snoring. She is well in every other way, minus a bunch of feathers. She is eating and drinking. I have her in the house and she seems fine except the breathing. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

2. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    hey there! and thanks for joining backyard chickens!
    [​IMG]
    unfortunately your chicken might be suffering from permanent damage, the dog must've ruined her lungs causing her to take in deeper and larger breaths in order to breathe. Luckily that MIGHT not be the case, instead this might be temporary. Your chicken is probably traumatized from the event as a result the chicken being nervous which means it starts to wheeze. Hope your chicken gets better!

Best regards~Sunshine Ducky

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by