Hen broody, but no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by warcard, Apr 23, 2008.

1. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    One of our hens is acting broody. Sitting in one spot, puffs up and pecks when you try and move her, but.... THERE ARE NO EGGS UNDER HER! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do I have a insane chicken? If it matters she is a cochin mix (daddy) crossed with a RIR (mother). There is a rooster in with her, and she was laying eggs for awhile, but that has stopped.

Thanks,
    Jen

Peacocks, Turkeys, Pheasants, Guineas, AND Chickens...where the heck did they come from? (oh yeah, DH thought they would brood the exotic eggs...hehe...now we have an incubator)

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have an 11 month old broody Buff Orp who sat on a wooden egg for a week. I took that away - then she sat on nothing for another week! I finally figured that she was determined to be a mother and bought 12 fertile EE/Russian Orloff mix eggs for her. Today is day 22 for those eggs and over the last 2 days she has hatched at least 5 babies and is still sitting patiently on the last 6 eggs (we lost 1 to a crack on day 9). She will be a good mama!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by