Hen Broody/ loss 2 babes didn't break out egg?

scooby

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
sevier valley,utah
I have a banty that went broody her first time, she was sitting on about 10 i think. first one hatched 2 days ago. within a few hrs. I checked at 12:00 no chicks we checked at 5:00 and there she was. next day another started hatching but very slow. so i tried to bid my time and give her 24 hrs. then that same after noon another started hatching both had holes about a quarter in size by last night. i decided if the one wasn't out by this morning i'd intervene a little. went out this morning to check hoping to have 2 chicks and found both eggs no progress so i took them out for a closer look and discovered that the membrane was dry and stuck to them and they were dead. it has been way hot here 90-100. and my hen decided to hatch them in a dog house so not exactly easily accessible. It has been so hot in the dog house she doesn't even sit on them during the day only when it starts to cool off.I am crushed that she lost them and i feel guilty for not intervening yesterday. so do you think there is a chance to save the rest should i wait for them to pip, or try to crack them open or call it a loss. if there is a chance to save any i really would like to, should i candle them? Please help.

Back
Top Bottom