Hen broody- others stopped laying any connection?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by toomanydogs, Mar 6, 2012.

1. toomanydogs

toomanydogs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    I have a broody hen that started sitting yesterday. I got 4 eggs and figured she had the others. Today only got one egg. could her being broody affect the other hens? she is in the "chicken palace" where the majority of them lay. there are a total of 15 and I have been pretty consistantly getting anywhere from 6-10, sometimes even 12-13 a day

Lisa

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If she is in with other chickens, you need to mark the eggs under her. I'll bet another hen came and layed in the same box and the broody is collecting the eggs. You either need to seperate her or mark the eggs under her so you can remove any that are added later. No, having a broody does not effect the other hen's laying.

3. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    I agree with the poster above... check the broody's nest. This happened to me and I wish I had been more careful. My broody went from having 6 to more than a dozen eggs under her in a few days time because she was collecting the other hens' eggs. It didn't help that the other hens laid all of their eggs all around her either, lol.
    Now I don't know which eggs will hatch and which are the late comers. :/

4. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    Yep broody=egg hog! Wear protection when checking that broody hen.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. toomanydogs

Dec 31, 2011
    how do I mark the eggs? can I just use a pencil or a sharpie?

6. chicklady71

chicklady71 New Egg

Mar 5, 2012
    Use a pencil on the end - no sharpie due to the chemicals in them

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Use a wax crayon or grease pencil. Regular pencil wears off more as the hen moves the eggs around.

8. toomanydogs

Dec 31, 2011
    found the missing eggs. that was one angry hen:). She is on 14 and only found one spare with her today. Marked them with a pencil but I will pick up a crayon and re-mark them. I's a mixed flock but both the roosters are Dominique's so should be interesting to see what the chicks look like.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by