Hen bullying chicks

Dean126

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
So it is my first time with a broody hen raising chicks. Early on day 3 my hen began rejecting one chick for whatever reason. She would peck, chase him and throw him around, he started bleeding a bit so he hid all day. I started to notice another chick was paling around with this rejected chick, then the hen started rejecting that one as well. At night I went to the coop and noticed the 2 chicks weren't under their mother so I tucked them in hoping tomorrow would be better. The next day same story and the both chicks that were bullied were still getting bullied but getting worse for the origional so I got rid of him. Now the other one has rejoined his brother and sister and all is well again. Any theories as to why this may be? I did not expect this second chick to be accepted again and thought I would end up having to dispatch both, but luckily just the one.

Sonya9

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Georgia
So it is my first time with a broody hen raising chicks. Early on day 3 my hen began rejecting one chick for whatever reason. She would peck, chase him and throw him around, he started bleeding a bit so he hid all day. I started to notice another chick was paling around with this rejected chick, then the hen started rejecting that one as well. At night I went to the coop and noticed the 2 chicks weren't under their mother so I tucked them in hoping tomorrow would be better. The next day same story and the both chicks that were bullied were still getting bullied but getting worse for the origional so I got rid of him. Now the other one has rejoined his brother and sister and all is well again. Any theories as to why this may be? I did not expect this second chick to be accepted again and thought I would end up having to dispatch both, but luckily just the one.
You are killing chicks because the hen rejected them? Wow. Not sure what to think, this is your first ever post and it is more than a little unusual.

ChickNanny13

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Jun 23, 2013
The Big Island/Hawaii
I'm hoping when you said "got rid of him" you meant you rehomed?
It's very possible something was wrong with that one or she's just a lousy mama. But you could have kept it separated & raised with it's sibling until they got older.

Dean126

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
Well I do not have a brooder and it was Sunday night. The chick is being rejected for some reason, and if nature intended for that chicken to not survive then I think I did the right thing by not letting it suffer. But this post is about behavior and why my hen would reject a chick that would hang around the other. Not my ethics.

lovesfarms

Songster
Sep 6, 2016
Was it a different color? We had a bantam hen at one time that killed all the black chicks. So disappointed because the black ones were the cutest. The chicks I have right now, the the blacks huddle together to do their dusting and the brown ones huddle together. So it seems chickens can tell color...racist????

Dean126

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
No she has 2 other chicks with exactly the same pattern
Was it a different color? We had a bantam hen at one time that killed all the black chicks. So disappointed because the black ones were the cutest. The chicks I have right now, the the blacks huddle together to do their dusting and the brown ones huddle together. So it seems chickens can tell color...racist????
No it isn't that reason. Some others are the same color. I wonder if the 1st chick got its scent on his friend then once he was gone all is right... or is that nonsense?

Dean126

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
Very true indeed.

And you plan to kill any other chicks she rejects, including the other two you mentioned?
I killed one lame chick with half its face missing in the morning... get off your high horse

Top Bottom