1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen can not stand, nearly starved, won't eat.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debnjosh, May 22, 2016.

1. debnjosh

debnjosh New Egg

May 21, 2016
    Hello, I am looking for suggestions on what to do with my hem. I found her three days ago with her toe stuck in the bottom of the nesting box. I'm not sure how long she was there before we realized she was not able to get out. She was quite thin and weak however. I have read many of the threads on this website and tried to check for broken bones.etc. She will drink water but refuses to even try eating. She cannot stand walk or fly. Wondering if I should continue to try to help her or just put her out of her misery. I really can't find broken bones or anything that's wrong with her but clearly if she doesn't drink more and start eating she's not gonna make it. Any suggestions?

2. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Has she been worked? She may eat some scrambled eggs.

3. debnjosh

debnjosh New Egg

May 21, 2016
    Worked? I will try eggs and if I can get some today mealworms.

4. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Sorry. Wormed?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get some Poultry Nutri-drench for giving by mouth in addition to water, or some other brand of vitamins with electrolytes to add to water. Fluids are more important at first, then give her egg, tuna, or wet feed to get her eating. Let us know how she does.

6. debnjosh

debnjosh New Egg

May 21, 2016
    Tried scrambled eggs, no interest. Could not get her to drink this time until I put some droops of water on the side of her beak. Her head/neck is folded back onto her back now. Anyone know what that is a sign of??
    I did put some Emergency ( vitamin and electrolyte drink) in her water the first day do you think that's OK to use because I have it handy? I will try it. I/she has very little to loose at this point. The second day I was more concerned about getting the painkillers and her water and I did neglect vitamins and electrolytes.

7. debnjosh

debnjosh New Egg

May 21, 2016
    Oh yes, wormed, no she was not wormed but I'm quite certain that her problem has to do with some sort of an injury she incurred from being stuck in her nest. Either organ damage or physical damage or both.

8. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    What kind of pain killers and how much? Is she turning her neck and putting it under her wing like she's sleeping or is her neck looking up at the sky?

9. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Also is her comb and wattles pail?. Is she kinda puffed up?

10. debnjosh

debnjosh New Egg

May 21, 2016
    Her Combs still has color in it but it's all shriveled up and she's in a looking at the sky position except that she's laying on her side.

I read on some of the other forums about giving the chickens aspirin or ibuprofen so I used baby aspirin and pediatric ibuprofen and I didn't really measure it because I was just put a little in the water and then try to get her to drink what she would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by