Hen cannot bear weight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by papaslegacy, Dec 1, 2016.

1. papaslegacy

papaslegacy New Egg

May 8, 2016
    i have a 3 year old red star hen, she is the largest and the flock leader. (i only have 10 hens)
    Tuesday i went in to the coop and she was limping for seemed off balance. Thursday, she is not bearing any weight. just laying down. Was picking at the middle of a pumpkin i left in the coop. i moved her to a more comfortable area. i came back tonight (thurs evening) she had moved again. i think she is using her beak to help her move. I gave her water and pedialyte through a baby syringe which she was happy to take. She is alert, her eyes are normal, shes drinking and picking at things. Her belly is soft, i am thinking she hurt her leg maybe jumping off the roost. Not sure if that is even the problem though. Does anyone have advise on what to do? How to make her better? signs and symptoms other than i am seeing? i hate to see her in pain. I am also having a baby in a few weeks so i need to get her better. I am in massachusetts and its getting cold. I was thinking giving her some baby food for strength through baby syringe as well as water etc. any and all ideas i am open to. I do not cull my birds and i do not think she is sick and ready to go. thanks

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you check her feet for bumble foot?

3. papaslegacy

papaslegacy New Egg

May 8, 2016
    yes. her feet look normal. she is not grasping my finger. one is kind of limp and the other has some pull to it.

4. papaslegacy

papaslegacy New Egg

May 8, 2016
    yes, her feet look normal. She will not grab my finger with her claws. one leg seems limp and the other has some pull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by