Hen cannot lay two eggs - I can't find the opening in the membrane!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ivorypin, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ivorypin

ivorypin New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    We have a problem with our 2yo rhode island red/leghorn cross. First brought her in about 2 months ago because she was separating herself from the flock (three other hens and a rooster), standing quietly with her head sunk close to her body with eyes closed. Didn’t go into the coop one night, so started bringing her into the house where it’s warm. Noticed she was EXTREMELY skinny under her feathers, no meat on her bones, and has droopy pale comb. I made her oatmeal in addition to her regular food but she eats little. She drinks a TON of water, and her poop is mostly water, sometimes whitish with some solid (see picture). During the day I put her out again but she decided she lives in the house and would wait outside the door to be let in at night. Thinking that there is something wrong with her digestion we tried Epsom salt/buttermilk/wheat bran cure for couple days, but nothing has changed.

Recently we flipped her over and felt what looks like 2 mature eggs in her that were not there before, one closer to the vent and one farther back kind of up under one leg. She is so skinny we can practically see the eggs through her skin. We’ve been giving her the warm bath for two days, but they aren’t coming out. I tried to feel the egg in rubber glove and KY, but I can’t feel the shell directly, I am pretty sure that I got the right opening (the higher one), but it seems that there is a membrane all over. (She used to lay eggs before without any problems.) I am being very gentle, but this obviously hurts her, looks like she is straining to lay the egg, but she poops instead.

Does anyone know what’s going on and how we help her?

PS.
    I was going to include a picture of her poop, but I am brand new member, so I can't yet.

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't know the answer to your question - but I hope someone with more experience with chickens can help you out. [​IMG]

3. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I dont know if this will work or not, but you could try soaking her in warm water?

4. ivorypin

ivorypin New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    Yes I did. But the problem is that, even though the first egg in line is right at the vent (I can see and feel its shape through the skin), I can't touch its shell directly. It is covered by a membrane and I can't find any opening in it. I was thinking of cutting through it, like in the case of prolapse I read about on this forum, but it is such a small area to see, it is still inside the vent. I don't know how many blood vessels and nerves are there...

Is it possible that the opening had closed up (my hens weren't laying eggs for some weeks now), maybe after being hurt/torn by the rooster?

5. ivorypin

ivorypin New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    Our hen past away last night. I feel so bad that I couldn't help her...

6. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG]
    you did your best, I'm sorry that we couldn't help you......sorry for your loss.

7. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG]

Sorry if this seems insensitive, but did you do a necropsy to see what those things were? They might have been eggs, but they may have been something like tumours as well...

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Unfortunately chickens can be difficult to help. Especially hens since we can't see what going on inside. Like all birds they are very fragile.

I am sorry for your loss,

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by