Hen can't climb ramp and acting "off balance"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Devhens Brood, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Devhens Brood

Devhens Brood New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    My 11 month old Australorp just started having difficulty climbing the ramp to the coop. She has to start at the base and after taking a few steps, falls off the side to the ground. She no longer roots with the others either and has started sleeping in a nesting box. She seems to be having difficulty jumping as well. She seems to be eating ok and is pooping. She is molting as well and has a large spot of feathers missing on her chest. She does not appear broody because she will defecate in the nesting box at night and spends the day in the run. She was vaccinated for Mareks. Anyone have some insight?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I don't have any answers about your hen, but at 11 months, she shouldn't be molting. That usually happens around 16-18 months, unless there has been a major stress to her. Hens can become broody over a few days. I would worm her if that hasn't been done, and add a vitamin and probiotic to her diet. Look her over for signs of lice or mites and their eggs. Feel of her breast bone to see if she is underweight. What type of feed is she on?

3. Devhens Brood

Devhens Brood New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    She is eating layer feed with the 5 others. I read on the threads they can go through a mini molt around 9-11 months and some of my others have what appears to be mini molted too. Her feet look good and I don't see mites or lice. I definitely don't think she's broody because she is only in the nesting box at night and in the run most of the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by