1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen can't hardly walk takes a minute to finally get her legs under her then often falls. Rooster may

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katischicks, Jan 13, 2017.

1. katischicks

katischicks Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    my hen can barely walk. Can't see anything wrong with her visually. She has good grasp with her claws but takes few steps then falls. She is very skinny. She tried to eat today. Is it possible the rooster ( both 4 months old January 14th.) may have hurt her. He seems to be rough with the hens.
    On Ms Chicky's last day she could only lay there and barely flap one wing. Sounds terrible!
    She died that day. I'm afraid it was Merks disease & will vaccinate baby chick from now on. I never get any other chicks except day old chicks. They must be vaccinated before arriving on our place.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Separate your hen with food and water. Add some poultry vitamins and electrolytes to her water daily. SaveAChick, Durvet, and Rooster Booster Vitamins with Lactobacillus are good ones. Give her some chopped egg mixed with a teaspoonful of plain yogurt daily. She may be weak from being kept from food and water if she is low in pecking order, have a vitamin deficiency, or injured, but Mareks disease could also be a possibility. Make sure the vitamins contain riboflavin. Placing her in the coop in a dog crate so that she can remain with her flock would be good. Give us an update in the next day or so.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Very good advice, sounds like what I just went through with a 3wk old chick that "recoverd" ... "CC". Keep us posted

4. katischicks

katischicks Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    I fed this hen raw egg & water 1st few days to make sure she was getting nourishment. She is so skinny. I have her isolated from the rest of the flock which seems to be perfectly healthy. Do I need to vaccinate the rest of the flock now

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you mean vaccinate for Mareks? If Mareks is her problem, the whole flock would have been exposed all at the same time. Wasting away is also a sign of Mareks, but with any other serious illness, they not eat. How long has she been acting sick? What do her droppings look like? I would try feeding her chopped or raw egg mixed with her usual feed. Canned tuna is also a good source of protein. Since she is 4 months she still could suffer from coccidiosis. Any weakness can cause lameness. I'm really hoping this is something other than Mareks such as an injury or possibly cocci, and it may take some time babying her to figure it out. Cocci is best treated with Corid in the water for 5 days, 1 1/2 tsp of powder to a gallon of water. If your vet will perform a fecal test, you can test for cocci or worms. Let us know how she is doing in a day or so.

6. katischicks

katischicks Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Update on lame hen: I checked this am. She's very alert, looks like she eat some of her egg & layer pellets. I shall get some chick feed with antibiotics, & will also treat for few days with Turmeric paste mixed in lightly with egg.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chicken feed does not contain antibiotics. Most oral antibiotics have been taken off shelves, and are only abailable from a vet prescription. Were you talking about amprollium in feed? That can be used to help prevent coccidiosis, but if cocci is a possible problem, Corid, which is amprollium in a high concentration, is what I would use to treat cocci. I really would recommend poultry vitamins in case of a deficiency. Are you thinking it may still be an injury?

8. katischicks

katischicks Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    I'm still not sure what is wrong with her. she's about the same. No worse no better. I took egg, yogurt, pellets & water at lunch time. She barely walks. Hard to keep balance standing up. So she sits on her legs not thighs. She walks better if she goes real slow.. yes that's the chick feed I was talking about for Cocci.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she sit on her hocks? That may be a sign of riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency, but also can be a symptom of Mareks disease. I really hope she is justtemporarily injured, or riboflavin related.

10. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Sounds similar to what I just went through with a chick! Eggcessive along with other BYC members were VERY supportive and helpful. Chick was walking on its hocks, had curly toes and looked like splayed legs, long story short and again thanks to BYC members, was able to locate PolyVisol < iron vitamins, 3 drops a day, some boiled egg yolk mixed with it's feed, taped toes and "therapy" exercise the legs. This is what I started with .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about 2 1/2 weeks, this is what I have now....Gait is off but he's alive and walking with alot of attitude....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by