hen cant lift head one eye shut

Cathyhancock

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
Hen was traumatized by a dog, no bite Mark's but thought she was dead. She was breathing took her inside gave her water. She is improving it us day 3 but she cant lift her head and one eye us shut. What can I do

coach723

Free Ranging
6 Years
Feb 12, 2015
North Florida
Have you looked at the eye that won't open. I would check for damage, flush it out with sterile saline, and if needed you can use terramycin eye ointment (most tractor supply stores carry it) or plain neosporin in it 2-3 times a day to help with any infection. The neck muscles may be very sore and bruised. Sometimes healing takes a while. Can she eat and drink on her own? I would make sure she's staying hydrated especially, if she's not drinking then you may have to help. If she is laying down you can roll up some towels to help support her head, and putting them on either side of her may help also. She may have been squeezed or shaken, even if nothing is obvious on the outside. It would be good to go over her again, inch by inch, separating feathers, to make sure that there are no punctures that might have been missed the first time. Hope she keeps improving.

Cathyhancock

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
Have you looked at the eye that won't open. I would check for damage, flush it out with sterile saline, and if needed you can use terramycin eye ointment (most tractor supply stores carry it) or plain neosporin in it 2-3 times a day to help with any infection. The neck muscles may be very sore and bruised. Sometimes healing takes a while. Can she eat and drink on her own? I would make sure she's staying hydrated especially, if she's not drinking then you may have to help. If she is laying down you can roll up some towels to help support her head, and putting them on either side of her may help also. She may have been squeezed or shaken, even if nothing is obvious on the outside. It would be good to go over her again, inch by inch, separating feathers, to make sure that there are no punctures that might have been missed the first time. Hope she keeps improving.
Hen was traumatized by a dog, no bite Mark's but thought she was dead. She was breathing took her inside gave her water. She is improving it us day 3 but she cant lift her head and one eye us shut. What can I do

coach723

Free Ranging
6 Years
Feb 12, 2015
North Florida
I doubt it would affect her balance. Hens don't use both eyes at the same time like we do for depth perception, the eyes are on opposite sides.

Top Bottom