hen can't seem to pass egg?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ckkat, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ckkat

ckkat New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    Eaton Rapids, MI
    Hi, we have seven chicks. They have all been laying fine but two days ago one of our girls just stayed in her nesting area. I checked her several times during the day - no eggs. She has her feathers ruffled up and acts like she wants to lay but can't. I got her up and put her near the food and she atw and drank but went right back up to the box. Its now been two days. Is she in trouble? Can I help her? Please help.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Have you examined her, checked her vent etc to see if you can see/feel a stuck egg? Could she be broody? Has she stayed in the nesting box the entire time, at night also? How old and what breed is she?

3. BravewingTheHen

BravewingTheHen Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    My Coop
    She may be broody. Does she get up often? Does she only get up to eat, drink and poop? And does she make an odd noise when you touch her, and peck your hand away? If so, she may be broody. (In case you don't know, broody is when they want to hatch chicks.) You could also try searching up broody hens to see whether any of the signs match. Or she may be prolapsed. If the plumage has lots of poo near her vent, she doesn't seem very active, and looks rather sickly, she may be prolapsed. This is when an egg becomes stuck and can't come out. But your chicken sounds more like a broody hen.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  4. ckkat

ckkat New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    Eaton Rapids, MI
    She gets up to eat and drink and poop. Doesn't seem sick at all but yes, she does make a weird noise and peck my hand away. She is about nine months old and is a bufforpington. I looked up broody hens as suggested and I think this is the issue. Thank you both so much for your help. For us newbies with chicks this is so helpful. :)

5. BravewingTheHen

BravewingTheHen Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    My Coop
    You're welcome! Yes, chickens are quite more confusing then they sound. Are you planning to let her hatch chicks?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Pictures for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, she does sound broody. [​IMG] Do you have any fertile eggs for her to sit on, or are you going to try and break her of her broodiness?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by