hen can't stand, is very skinny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nancyjkelly, Jul 2, 2011.

1. nancyjkelly

nancyjkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi, I am new to owning chickens. I have five bantams, all hens, a variety of types, all different ages. My oldest (don't know what kind she is) supposedly just old enough to start laying, which she has been doing until it got hot, was found last night in a corner of her yard unable to stand. She eats and drinks, poo is absolutely normal (not runny, not smelly, no obvious worms). She is unable to stand and is very thin. All five eat like champs. The next oldest, a red silkie, who has not started laying yet is also thin but still very active. The remaining three are game hens, new chicks this spring and are fat. Any ideas as to the problem?

2. daytonfarm

daytonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Have you checked to see if she is egg bound? Check also for mites, this has been a bad year for mites and they can suck the life right out of them.

3. nancyjkelly

nancyjkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    She is bald but I attributed that to the very aggressive rooster and hen she was with when she was given to me. the skin looks pink and healthy and I don't see mites but I will check closer. She does not feel egg bound. She is standing today but still a little unsteady. She is eating well. Once in a while she gives a little sneeze, well it sounds kind of like a sneeze but I don't see her actually sneeze. Her breathing was kind of gurgley and I don't think I mentioned that before. It doesn't seem to be today. I wondered about Syngamus? Could it be just the heat? We were in the 100s for several days before this happened but the day I found her it was quite a bit cooler. I use shade cloth to shade most of the run but I have now started putting a frozen container of water in the coop every day. Thanks for any advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by