Hen can't Stand/ nasty bright green/white poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by limpychick, Jul 20, 2011.

1. limpychick

limpychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Smithfield Virginia
    I have a RIR hen that is about 3 years old. I saw her laying on my lawn and thought it was odd, so I went to her and she very slowly got up and limp/walked away. Then when I went to lock up my coop, she wasn't in there. I found her where she walked to and picked her up and put her in one of my horse stalls on straw. This was Sunday. So, she can't stand or walk, toes are curled and she can move, she used her wings to steady and her head to shift herself. I have had her on antibiotic (don't know if she needs it) and have been giving it to her with a syringe as she wasn't drinking or eating. I really didn't think she would make it through the night, but she did. so I have been watering her and moving her out of her mess. Today (wed) I noticed her back end was very nasty and was grossed out to see maggots back there. So, I washed her. Then let her sit in a small bucket of warm water, she just sat there and went to sleep. After I got her cleaned up I gave her some yogurt with a syringe and I put in some chick food and she ate that. She also drank on her own which was a plus, but still no standing. She is no worse, but not really better either. She is the only one with this problem, all others are healthy. She eats southern states layer pellets and gets fruit and veggies from the garden, apples, cukes, watermelon, greenbeans (not all at once, but whenever we have them and don't eat them). Her lower lids seem puffy, but no watery eyes or nose or anything. She does not seem to be egg bound, I don't feel one in there, but figured the bath and oil could help, just in case. So, I am at a loss.

2. karma

karma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    doesn't sound good if she has maggots in/on her. They eat dead tissue. poor girl, good luck.

3. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    This sounds alot like what has been going on with my Red a RIR also. I have the thread " (update) Serious!!!! Help!!!!! Red not getting better" Now mind you that my Red had some other issues also but that sounds alot like when I found Red and what was going on with her and still is. Maybe we can help each other some how...
    Mollie

4. limpychick

Apr 20, 2008
    Smithfield Virginia
    I wish we could help each other. I am just at a loss as to why she can't stand. The maggots were probably laid on the poo that was stuck to her behind because she can't stand. I washed her really well and they are gone, and other than her bum being a bit red, it looks fine back there. She is moving around where I have her . I moved her away from her food and water and when I looked in on her 1/2 hour later she had wiggled back over there. So, she is eating and drinking, comb is red and normal. She is sleepy, but alert when I come over to her. The poo I got off her this morning was white and green, but the bright green wasn't as bright.

5. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Have they lost weight? My birds were the same way and it turned out that they had a type of worm the Wazine didnt kill. I switched to Ivermectin and they got better. My birds had green poop, wet vents, they were pale, lethargic. I would notice them laying down to eat instead of standing. They seemed unsteady when standing. Then they'd get to the point that they'd turn down food. The Ag people did a necropsy and discovered the worms. I used the pour on kind of Ivermectin. 3 drops for the standard size hens on the base of the neck on the skin. As long as they're not too far gone, you'd see improvement within a day or two.

6. limpychick

Apr 20, 2008
    Smithfield Virginia
    My girl has lost some weight, but she hadn't eaten in 4 days or so. She is not pale at all, her comb and around her face is red. I keep DE on their feed and thought that was supposed to be a "natural" wormer and should keep them worm free? I could try the ivermectin, but I think that what we have here is for cattle and big herds so it is a large bottle and rather expensive.

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    The Ivermectin that I used for Red was for cattle. That is why you only use a couple of drops on them.

8. limpychick

Apr 20, 2008
    Smithfield Virginia
    I will have to get some. How long do you have to toss the eggs? And, do you think she could be wormy, even though her comb is red?

9. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    The ivermectin is for cattle, but you can use it on chickens, turkeys, etc. I used 3 drops of the pour on for standard size chickens and 2 drops for my silkies. I've read that with the ivermectin you dont have to toss the eggs, but you may want to check one of the other threads to be sure. The paleness on mine, I think, was from not eating for a while, not necessarily a symptom of the worms.

10. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I thought you had to toss the eggs for 2 weeks but I could be wrong. hopefull someone who knows will come along and correct us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by