hen cant stand? paralyzed??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gwiffie, Aug 21, 2010.

1. gwiffie

gwiffie Hatching

Aug 21, 2010
    I have a 6 mos old cochin that cant stand up.

Her legs just stick out straight in front.
    Her beak/face plant into the groung and she will try to pull up but cant.
    Every thing else is normal.
    Eating and Drinking are normal.
    poop looks fine
    she will curl her toes from time to time
    and i can get a squak if i pinch the knee on both legs
    No wounds or protusuions.
    She calls when left alone. My pup keeps her company. I left her in the coop and when i went out to check on her she was across the yard. There is will power. No wounds or protusuions. No other signs of fatuige or malnourishment other than being alot of work to move. She is not a loaner, tries to gowith the flock and my pup will hang with her. I have no idea what is wong.

2. NC29mom

NC29mom Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    All of a sudden she can't stand up?

Did you look at the bottoms of her feet?

How does she eat and drink if she doesn't stand?

Gosh, I'm so sorry. That's terrible. I just hate it, hate it! when my chickens get to feeling bad!

3. momofspoiledchicks

momofspoiledchicks In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    South Carolina
    Hi! It sounds like a Vitamin B deficiency. I have had a hen & a rooster do the same thing & after a week or so of intense vitamin B treatment, they got better. Just add some Vitamin B to her food & water. Also, you should seperate her from your other chickens so that you can be sure she is drinking the water with Vitamin B & also so she does not get picked on when she is down. If you search Vitamin B here on BYC, you should find several helpful threads. Good luck & hope she gets better soon!

4. gwiffie

gwiffie Hatching

Aug 21, 2010
    She can move her head and wings. If i put the food and water right in front of her sheleans over. The bottoms of her feet look fine. She is missing a toenail. never noticed that before but looks very aged, clean, and normal. The other three hens and three roosters are very concerned and caring. I do remember giving V-B to lame horses as a child. So i ground up a supplement and syringe fed it to her and she drank it very willingly. 3 hrs later and she is "fake standing" propped up in a box of shavings. Which is an improvement. I had to wash her down. Do they make chicken bedpans? (joke)
    And she pepped up and really wanted to stand. so propped is really good. i have been watching her allday and she was drinking and eating all day. So i am confident that she was not dehyd/malnourished. but i will keep posted. and i was gone overnight and a friend locked the coop up at 7:45pm and said they all walked into the coop. I got home yesterday at 8 am and opened coop and thats where i found her struggling to get up.

5. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    when mine had Mereks the right leg went straight in front and she could not stand. She ate and drank. I thought the leg was broken but it was not.I tried vitimans and then the vet. It was put down for mereks. I hope your is a lack of vitimans. Good luck!

6. momofspoiledchicks

momofspoiledchicks In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    South Carolina
    Hi! How is she doing today? Just wondering. It is good that she drank the water w/ vit. B & you have her propped up. I think that will help a lot.
    I hope she is improving!

7. gwiffie

gwiffie Hatching

Aug 21, 2010
    She wants to be better. She can have very active spurts. But still lame. i'm not really sure of the dosage. I am still hopeful. Still eating and drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: