Hen can't stand up

vontan

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
On Sunday I noticed one of my hens (1.5 years old) was just lying on her side in the coop, not able to stand. She isn't paralyzed although her left leg (or left side) is weaker. If i help her stand she holds her left leg up or she will put a little weight on her left leg but not much. At first I thought maybe she injured herself but even with one leg she should be able to stand. I help her stand and she really leans way forward where if I let go she will just fall forward or to the side. It doesn't appear that anything is broken. She lies mostly on her left side and from that position she can eat, drink and is very alert . However if she moves around on the ground and gets over on her right side its like she can't even lift her head up...so she can't hold her head to the left only the right, which is why she looks normal when she' s lying on her left side. She's shown little if any improvement since Sunday. I started her on Baytril yesterday, I wormed her with Ivomec on Sunday (after the episode not before). She layed one egg on Monday and nothing since, her poop seems normal. I am wondering if perhaps she either has a neck injury or had a stroke. I have access to most antibiotics plus Tylan and prednisone if I thought any of it would help. I'm also concerned she's not getting enough to eat. She does eat some but not what I think she needs. I do supplement her with some hard boiled egg yolk and greek yogurt and whatever I can get to entice her to eat. I have some liquid vitamins which I'll give her a few drops. Any ideas of what the problem could be or what I might try next would be appreciated.

I'd be concerned about Marek's which can involve partial paralysis.

I don't know much about stroke in birds. I know they're common in gerbils and they frequently recover completely. Maybe there's hope so long as she's eating and drinking? They aren't as complicated as humans, but I seriously don't know. I just know that when our gerbil had a stroke, we were advised to keep him calm, in a dark place, feed and water and be patient because they very often make a complete recovery.

He started to, but then had another stroke.
sad.png

I know this may be obvious but I'm new to this and am pretty sure my whole flock is goners due to Marek's it's been killing a bird a night and the sign we are getting is that they are laying down more often and then laying down and not getting back up even if we help they won't stand. It's very contagious you probably even if it isn't marek's want to isolate the hen who isn't standing. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom