1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen can't stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by naturemom, Jun 17, 2007.

1. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    For the past few days, our hen has just been lying there, and can't get herself up. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, looks alert, and can scoot herself around enough to reach her food and water if they are kept near her, but she can't get up. I suspect it might be rickets, since she has been inside for a while due to non-chicken-friendly local ordinances, but I'm not sure. We've started putting her outside each day, law or no law, but I can't leave her out all day anyway because it's hot and she starts panting really hard after a while. Dh has called around and apparently there are no vets around here who treat chickens, so we're on our own. I've started giving her a vitamin supplement. Is there anything else we can do for her? She's our 4yo's special pet hen.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Vitamins, and sunshine. Oh, and greens. Make sure she gets lots of each. I do hope she pulls through. Poor little one. I take it you have her " illegally"?? LOL Sounds like you are doing just what she needs...sun , sun, sun!!

3. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Yep, we're outlaws! Not for long, though. We're moving in a couple of weeks, so if she can make it that long she can be outside for good-with some friends if they can get along.

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi sorry to here about your hen. Is she laying eggs still? Maybe she is egg bound, just guessing.
    I hope she gets better. [​IMG]
    Miriam

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I was wondering if she might be egg bound, too. What is her normal diet?

6. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    She's been laying occasionally. The last egg she layed was right before this began-like maybe an hour. I've been making her food, and only recently started thinking I should be adding Nutri-balancer. I can't believe I could be so stupid as to not think of it before!

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Naturemom, what's in the food you're making for her? Can you tell us what the recipe is?

8. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't want to be an alarmist, but you can't rule out (or at least you should consider the possibility of) Mareks. One of the classic symptoms is sudden paralysis.

Here is some info that may be helpful: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm

I really hope it's not Mareks, and just some fluke thing that she will get over quickly!! Best of luck!

9. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Dh talked to some people about it today, includinga veterinary student. Looks like a stroke.[​IMG]\\
    ETA: Thanks for that link. Maybe it is either Mareks or Lymphoid Leucosis. In any case its doesn't look good. I'm glad we've been keeping her far away from the chicks.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  10. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry.
    Miriam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by