Hen can't walk after Tylan 50 shot in breast

Carchick

Songster
13 Years
May 23, 2007
My Americana, Goldilox, is on her 2nd day of Tylan when she didn't want to eat and just wanted to stay in the coop. This morning, after given the shot last night, she looked great...her tail feathers up and wanting to eat. So tonight we gave her the 2nd dose (.5) and within 5 minutes she couldn't stand and one of wings was spread out. Did we hit a nerve and paralyze her? We've given shots before and we feel horrible to know we did something wrong to her. Does anyone know if this is the reason or is it from something else and what can we do to fix it?

Thank you

@casportpony

I know it's recommended to give Tylan orally, even the injectable kind, because injecting it can actually cause necrosis at the injection site. Have you examined the injection site to see if there's any damage there? Where are you giving the injections? Into the breast?

Also, Tylan may just not be working for whatever it is that she has. She may not have a bacterial infection, and so this may just be a new symptom of whatever she actually has.

In the years of taking care of birds, I've always given the injectable kind and didn't know it could cause necrosis.

I will keep you updated about what is happening with her. I've been some reading about vitamin b therapy how it can help chickens walk again and how the vet also recommended to me, I started it last night and I'll have to see if it works.

How deep was the injection? I usually advise people to give Tylan 50 orally, due to the possibility of causing tissue damage, but I have injected it into a hen before for 3 days with no problems.

I would only use as short a needle as possible and insert it about 1/4 to 1/2 deep if giving an intramuscular injection to a chicken. You can still use a 1 inch needle and insert it only 1/4 of an inch.

I hope you hen recovers.

The needle wasn't inserted too deep I believe, my husband gave her shot and normally knows to how to insert the needle. So I have been doing the intensive vitamin B with Goldilocks and today she was moving her left leg, she still does not have use of her toes or pad. I'm going to keep going with the vitamin and massaging and see how she does. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom