Hen Cant Walk, Any Ideas on Injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandysylvester, Oct 9, 2013.

1. sandysylvester

sandysylvester Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    My hen was up on her roost this morning. I went out there not too long ago to discovery she cannot walk. I suspect she somehow injured herself coming off the roost. I cannot feel anything broken/out of place.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on what she may of injured? Can chickens have spinal injuries?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When you stand her up does she just fall over? When you touch the bottom of her toes, do they curl around your finger? Chickens can fall off roosts and break their necks, but they usually can't move anything, and most die. She may have sprained a leg, but I would suspect a neurological disease. Mareks disease is a common one, and botulism is another from eating spoiled meat, maggots, or plantlife out in the range. Here is some info: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

3. sandysylvester

Apr 18, 2011
    She was happy running around yesterday. She is vocal, ate this morning and can move her head around. She somehow made her way to the front of a nest box. I will check the feet. If I lift her up she immediately drops back down on breast. Wings fully functioning. She is not however limping, she just seems to have almost no leg mobility. Would disease strike that quickly?

4. sandysylvester

Apr 18, 2011
    ok when I pick her up she has SLIGHT movement in legs. She laid an egg, and had enough umph to get out of nest box. She seems distressed if I touch her near base of tail area/body (opens beak pants) she has tail mobility.
    I just have her on fresh chips in coop w/heat lamp and food/water.

Any ideas on injury would be great. The roost is high. 1 at 24", the one they sleep on is 4'. I have a feeling my bossy old hen pecked her off the roost and she fell.

5. sandysylvester

Apr 18, 2011
    I did just pinch her bottom right foot. No reaction. I had it spread behind the body

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would watch her. Hopefully it is a sprain, or perhaps a broken leg, but Mareks can strike immediately. If you do a search on here or on Google you will find many sites for information.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes vitamins can help with leg problems. Polyvisol 2-3 drop daily or chick vitamins in the water may help her symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by