Hen can't walk, shuffles, lays on belly. What to do?

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
I have a 25-week-old (mostly) Black Australorp hen/pullet who can't walk anymore. I'm hoping someone might have some advice. I'm pretty certain now there's something wrong with her legs, I don't think it's an injury - more like systemic, illness, or neurological maybe? Or because she's very shy, is she not getting enough to eat?

It started a few days ago with her just spending a lot of time sitting on her belly, instead of scratching around like the other girls. When I came near, she'd get up and run or walk away, but then plop down again, usually in a corner somewhere. Today it was much worse. She refused to walk but would try to hobble away from me - belly close to the ground, legs shuffling underneath, almost like a duck-walk or scooting - with her wings held out and down a bit (for balance?). She's always been a very shy bird since hatching, and I often find her in a corner hiding her face - though I see no reason for it, no bullying.

Two nights ago at dusk, I found her hiding in a corner on the floor of the coop. Last night I found her outside alone, on her belly, eating away at the feeder, after full-dark. I put her in the coop near a roost, but instead she hobbled and plopped down with her head in the corner. So then I isolated her in the front half of the coop on a low shelf (2' x 4' with a wide lip) in a nest of wood chips and she stayed there through the night. Gave her food and water this morning within easy reach, and closed that section of the coop to isolate her. She ate quite a lot of her feed and water today, plus a little dish of something I mixed up for her: A dose of Corid, a crushed Calcium+D tablet, a dose of Nutri-Drench, about 10 live mealworms, and a spoonful of scrambled egg to glue it all together. By this afternoon, she had eaten almost all of it but was down on the floor in her corner again.

She shows no obvious signs of illness or injury that I can see. Her comb is bright pink, not red, but dry looking, legs and feet move and flex normally, no bumblefoot, no nasal discharge or coughing, eyes are clear, crop feels squishy and normal, abdomen is soft and pliable, though her keel bone feels somewhat prominent. Her vent is pulsating and looks moist and normal, but I do not feel an egg near the cloaca. I cut a walnut-sized ball of poop from her vent feathers today, but haven't been able to isolate her own poop other than that one ball. I'm pretty sure she is NOT laying, because she can't get up to a nest box and I haven't found any eggs in the coop or run. Other pullets from her clutch are starting to lay; I found two soft-shell eggs today, and several very small pullet eggs.

I have 41 chickens of mixed heritage breeds in a closed flock from 25 weeks to 3 years. 4 roosters. The only new additions were years ago, and I don't get visitors to the coop or run (other than wild birds and the occasional raccoon or opossum). They don't free-range anymore due to predator overload. Large 8x24 coop, 40x50 run on dirt covered in parts with wood chips and hay. It's been very WET and soggy for weeks here. I feed a game bird grower/finisher crumble with 22% protein, and a very small amount of scratch or other treats daily.

What do you think is wrong with her, and what might be the best treatment?

In this video below, please disregard that nail sticking up a bit. It's on the underside of a lid for a feed barrel, and I only turned it upside down like that for the video because the top side was all messy with poo. She did not hurt herself on it; I saw it afterwards, and returned it to its barrel. You can see that she can't get her feet to work right. I was holding her up, until she hopped down.

Later, at bedtime, she wanted to be in the roosting area with her buddies. I let her go, and snuggled her into a comfy corner.

KW3eOaK1ZXh_rUwMaBxzqKQ4b-zMIeZappHjBFgE30eywPG604HFgrMka204ILZYXfxMi2BJ_IAIV6ssTrxqoNGpJgvLle0BXN0P_iX_p2viFVCujax5y5PtuzgnWWMq61ulbCGLzPYzOEelOICghdaSrhuP0u6xzoCaoB66ll9qf3emPp4yGKrPbznIvbdU2hHc_4HBJbQSovmQRmM6tcfbfBc6zSAFQN4xPZ19xSS8ikOBYu5WCuS6JsM2ntWqHr9PgKsumbvzaz0UemHcrvDuCP2mk0NL8TsDA_Fpc7DVsc6-7g2HrH-hedOg__A6fOGCGEMjZNEr9TzgsoinqDhy87KcYK_cJZAwwKEiSD9hxmPpIJjrAa6DUTMtLtEYbzOq3KxhBj7whpi3Jgh4B7cqNU7NxeXZZz1OLHOOMJ1pE92oRIQDpnaFSll0WOIzMSbX4AJCxVAE94cmA7C_hMrBOl7jqgnWREAQkjVxS0EMV9nrdtecW_H_FLMxF12-LsVo9Lc5538HiU3TUuVhJTiaeDGop1BLtaU3DTPzeJAhWOFZ3R7WNXER5Fxapz6QtMiiZYF8EVFtA_jNCVzGwvRIcAh5h7eeic7FOI0HF9UqvfouOZx7mcYNDCa7Bx6pi8UcvQivuZ5wFZRwuL1AWzvcNAyIUfqZ_1Q703EfFkvRPIGApQmnwAFEyUoPKwkTvMlBodQA5ODjCRTAfm9M3gfWPelMegnGQpCxsQA88CBoJ-2GzXirmu7IZa_-8KhUKUgtDC6vnMZsr0lpiQN1R8jpSfWbzU4hHZ5eHFrTMJ6V5eO9J4-c_x7EayBN5s859lqJTDqOML2fp8a1F84ZyZdeRGWj5BHARFdQT7vEi6bqEo-qYd-DIOehECY-iB1re0OAQcmEiRUuC02tGHoYucThwNjsH2jH2usJexVVHGjRxXxj=w1727-h990-no

YcmMe61JdEf5eTGX_HxBovRadxHTG-cKqeS1gCcko3ylGDZdKWkgkhR_pCVXTIrpA9R4NBSAABlZXbjzB4qp2AbbSDmIUWSEDzt6MtupCe5r5cT5LoPni6-FiqFG2wfMt3eVbN3Idjwv4UIbdJrfYtZJf-aPrKWU3ERVtIYwexF9KzZv4-WbxZNxuiV-rXZi_QP9nSH7rJ2KUTdbSHCo82f6bmOX0z7ar8Hq6HdXuM6QSnaMhzFr97hfcBYa5beeinFYGmubcnADnCy_gBcZ8ZAMxOuJsXphS970WwcVnkNRsGTCDKKrTE_R78GNg6kIbtjia7kaqhrpzXWcAQZnDziSSQ_SoURuorLETxcc4Doveig53yNT5AUmg4FI80HL-o-spjdpWYHJLCa4KkvIgpaPONTxTp0c4dXSu2e8q6wR9BFKGv4fzLbse3OG83VcY0BGz_F6MR2Zj_Fm1Ati76fJESstz6YzQmS0PswskbJqwN6giKSR6En0afSlNWGhXEF2RI1YZ0AWviXYnnaRhkRn2PpxU0xh4Jxk8lXB5KL9chvLW8LU6m296YVzpbSYd6nnmlDYRBXH91-5rV6z0eeQiJ44g5gIQW2LWPnS_qb2CBz31cd_qXkgxM9rvfrS2qE-LBVSC6k3FcW_DdNqd4att7E2IvNLvjjlLw3xAUYo1-9UXZanQsJLGJ0Zd6DfsjGvZsfQSYBEbztV6e9UgJK7jx4_Gk7XHHz5xE2up3GvAAny-MMyj_d-sLiIm49VIo-bOfVwT0dsTtS2YqC3Xch4PwKjrvkamDfzD5v-rGyFLix9A_drUHQRSYpDJgGCFD1VUJynUdueTzeI-xwxXiSSoHjLfO392obypD3ibw1aZ9s8vsFj3iM9Ioc6X1fOHXJuZ07h_qVCtY5y0RqHSExaO03yVxS5UIBGdUioLGDs_UBW=s990-no

z3y2At82zSJA3G50WSPh--7LA9Y7YF5DX3uIXchibNO4D3sZ-64Gi0k4pFcm_mGhl7hT4XrJR8gGXJK1pGv1-PdMwomsiqQ7OjH1fiuBIK2PI9sW8BVkS4cTlfzApAKT6H19eFyntb553N9t02ZExxp6EvPfz9sLHJEd-SRL4IRxulCrdBQzIxzdVDVWA0Y7SHpfTSCT3usQPDIyqPwDVfqHb3_WZRruRb-oInQCr9jmPRNJLBMy3xOGO51H6HKuvsDWSZc8spl3LhRnoVreQtK_rvD1PgHKfd9s16i1124e4ONMtaJ0i2a-MGrGNFOMr1_VDQKJqVlMRkWBzvpOS8PfVRL8_ppmTMGXUZwEquxIrvEbyQxj1p5Zi-Z_QZFiRDGFsL0A77HbfdvrE1rvnhh4PGDzj5tJx6Mfzm1digPm4HEckzPniskoU9i35v8FvGKF8ONtDPNZuf-5O9JDnnsFdFXjKPgb85-KwVz80x4RYAmgl7IhHaNo_4KCS8k0xCEV3e9LV6nZ1ST5trTjZEo3nku5_D4_GUFFNUElLmgpWvgtLFFZvX9OLjtOM6McnUiGWGphlhrzWUR3NJV7NAZS3K0-S6VNRwL1BXA6OqRKy7fKxK7NCeN-rwp-0Q-MUz0ph1QqxgMXCWetfwzDyIGnaOEsZ9Ao07tSPodPH57bXkRb7iE1U_EJPS8r4qYuvLlHEeoboG3NDVzo7agiMGIXBALtjZrtQcH0n6hTh1qNnj55p5j7b38crTeX6-1dsIOonVSDt69ZkregCDz2_YEsJmIyHOBw9LRy1yOswjew9a-1KUdINLLX5_vBNlZV5Xn_lRkER76iZNSdHinNzKMxDXGsRvhjTvseAronTSdUgzP2jn8mWU959T0xNpZsej1eDh4DrP8ef-a8PnR_TKmbl-vpa8SULZTUMYFV15Bu_Bwb=s990-no

A stellar job of providing info and video of your patient. If awards were given out for excellent information presentation, you'd win.

My heart goes out to this little girl. She seems healthy and wants to eat, but she probably lacks the strength and self confidence to compete at the feeder. Plan on feeding her separately at least twice each day. But try to rig a safe space so she can still be near her flock.

It appears to me her problem could be a riboflavin deficiency causing extreme leg weakness. Get her some B-complex. I like the B-100 since it has 100mg of each B-vitamin that will fix her leg problems. Give her one tablet a day directly into her beak. Be aware it can turn poop bright yellow-orange. It's harmless, and any excess her body doesn't absorb will get pooped out.

It may take up to four weeks to see improvement. Keep her safe and well fed and watered. Don't forget to provide grit while she is confined.

Give us regular progress reports. I'm sure hoping this works. She's so young and sweet, she really deserves to lick this.

@azygous Thanks for the compliment, and the information. I have the B-100 on hand already, so I'll start that in the morning. Should I also give her Calcium+D, because her vent was pulsating every time I checked her? Or was she just having a nervous reaction?

My coop is divided into two halves with a wire-covered door divider that I can close or open as needed. I generally use the front half for feed storage, an integration pen for youngsters, and more space for everyone on bitterly cold days when I keep them all inside. I can easily keep her indoors and separated for the duration, and she can still see and talk to her friends through the divider.

I'll post updates, as I have them. Thanks again!

The calcium can't hurt anything. I always give it if I have the slightest suspicion there could be a reproductive issue in the works. I'm really glad you mentioned it, because a stuck egg can cause leg issues if it's putting pressure on a nerve. Also, it wouldn't hurt to put a teaspoon of sugar in her water for today to counter any possibility of low glucose, although she's been eating so that's not high risk. It will give her a boost of energy.

If you can identify the new layers that are responsible for the soft shell eggs, one calcium into each of them for a couple of days would be a good idea.

If you can identify the new layers that are responsible for the soft shell eggs, one calcium into each of them for a couple of days would be a good idea.
I wish I could, there are just too many and I'm not about to sit and watch the nest boxes all day. LOL. I'm putting out more oyster shell in multiple locations, so hopefully they'll use that.

This morning, she is about the same - but still kicking and flapping when I restrained her in my jacket. Putting the B-100 in her beak was easier than I thought - I'd never popped a pill into a bird's beak before. At first, it settled over her trachea (!!!) and I worried she'd choke on it. I tried pulling her head downwards to let it fall out, but she yanked her wattle out of my grip and closed her beak. When I opened it again, the pill was gone. :) And she wasn't strangling on it. My rookie fears for naught..... (Note to self: Next time, pop the pill into the right side of her throat.) Dang, I meant to weigh her, but forgot. I'll try to do that today.

I settled her within easy reach of a dish of water with sugar and a small amount of Nutri-Drench, and a dish of 1/2-cup of dry chick starter feed. Into the feed, I mixed a crushed 1/2 tablet of Calcium+D and a sprinkle of pro-biotics powder. She dove right in, eating well. I'll check later and give her more feed and some mealworms for the boost of protein.

Tomorrow I'll give her the other 1/2 tablet of calcium into her beak, along with the B-100. (Not at the same time, of course.) I'm thinking to keep up the calcium until she lays an egg or two. Might switch over to a layer feed or back to the game bird grower feed, when she starts to improve. And the B until she's fully recovered. After that, I'll see how she manages at the feeder with the flock competition, and decide how to manage her feedings for however long it takes - her whole life, if necessary.

Does this sound like a good course of action?

Good news! She WALKED for me just a little while ago! Only about 6 feet and then plopped back down, but it was upright, legs straight, one-foot-in-front-of-the-other walking!
:wee
I know, I know, don't get too excited, let's see if it continues day after day. But I am THRILLED to see a positive response already, after only 1 day! Thank you!!!

She weighs 4 lbs 15 oz. So not so starved yet, after all. Whew.

She'd eaten about 1/4 cup of her feed since this morning and drank about the same in sugar water/nutri-drench. I gave her about a dozen live mealworms and a tad more feed, just to be sure she doesn't run out before bedtime.

Last edited:
Update: She's still about the same. I felt bad trapping her in the front part of the coop away from her buddies. She wanted so badly to be with the flock, she's not sick with anything they can catch, and she is not being bullied in any way.... so maybe it's best she maintains her place in the flock. I'm dosing her at night and making sure she gets plenty of water and goes to bed with a full crop. In the morning, she goes out the pop door with the rest of the flock and disappears under the coop (converted camper trailer up on blocks) before I can catch her. I just make sure there are SEVERAL feeders and waterers in multiple locations near the perimeter of the coop, and I try to locate and isolate her with food and water in the afternoon for a few hours, and then dose her then or at roosting time.

Still no eggs, and her vent is still pulsing. How long should I keep up the Calcium+D? She's getting 1/2 tablet per day.

Back
Top Bottom