Hen can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kiya4jah, May 31, 2008.

1. kiya4jah

kiya4jah Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Hen is 10 weeks old with no apparent injury(preditor or other wise) but ever few steps has to lay down. SHe seems unsteady on her feet and is limping. Otherwise healthy. If you have an idea please help.

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    do a good check of the bottom of the foot and between the toes for any sore or scab..(Bumblefoot)
    also any splinter or anything that could be sticking her...
    check toenails for injury..

is she able to eat and drink?
    best to put her in a confined area with soft bedding and food and water close to rest the foot/leg.

otherwise she could have a form of rickets..from growth spurt..
    there is a recipe you can give her if rickets, or calcium defiency is suspected..but check the foot first..

3. kiya4jah

May 13, 2008
    Thank you Sammi, I checked her feet yesterday and they seemed fine. No cuts, splinters or sores. The leg felt fine. I couldn't feel any breaks or swelling. She is eating and drinking fine and seems bright eyed and well. Can you give me the recipie for the rickets? Also will this cause a permanent disability?

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    How old is your bird? What have you been feeding her?

5. kiya4jah

May 13, 2008
    She is 10 weeks and on a basic pullet finisher

6. mipsy6

mipsy6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I actually just noticed a similar problem in my 4 month old RIR pullet. She's wobbly on her legs and sits down a lot. From some reading on the web and in The Chicken Health Handbook, it sounds like a vitamin D deficiency. I live in a city without much access to feed stores.

Would it be a good idea--or okay--to just buy some liquid vitamin D at a health food store and give her that? I have seen other people recommend children's liquid multi-vitamins. Is there some reason a pure liquid vitamin D supplement would be bad? I'd like to get my chicken healthy asap.

7. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    What breed is your bird? I ask becase a heavy/meat type breed will often have problems with lameness.

8. kiya4jah

May 13, 2008
    She is a single comb brown leg horn. I was researching as well and it does sound like rickets. I added some viatamine/electolites to the water for all the hens but was thinking about a mega dose of vitamine D as well. I am seeing my doctor today and was going to ask about over dosing on D and if it is possible. I will let you know. I am stopping by the feed store as well to see if there is a suppliment just for chickens.

9. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    you can give four drops of Polyvisol Enfamil formulation in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next...

10. kiya4jah

May 13, 2008
    Thank you so much. I will keep posting untill she is better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by