Hen cant walk.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitewinterwolf, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Ok im confused...
    Shes my only fricking show hen since the rooster went on a killing spree *roo became soup* and everything seems to happen to her.
    She is a year and a half old Silkie, and now she cant walk. Its not Merrick's I believe, only because she was vaccinated.
    Her leg muscles seem to have deteriorated, she cant keep her balance, and yet she can push off my hands with her feet.
    I'm at a loss. She is eating and drinking, I put baby aspirin in her water, and nothing.
    I have been having an issue with worms, should i de-worm her? I'm confused because she is not acting like all of my other sick hens have in the past.
    has ANYONE ever seen or heard of this before??

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Could she be egg bound?

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I cant feel anything? Im just feeling bellow her vent, should I be doing anything else?

4. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Please?????
    ANYONE?????

She seems to always fall back on her butt, does anyone have any idea what it is and what I should do?

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    If you've BEEN having worm issues - and she's weak, that could be a sign of worms since they're parasites. They will weaken her until they kill her. I'd worm her now with Valbazen and again in 10 days.

6. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    She has already been de-wormed twice already, and she is not acting the same way as the other hens.
    She just seems to have no balance, she is alert, active, but she just cant walk or keep her balance. Her legs push off of my hands, she just cant stand. Its very Mericks-ish but she has been vaccinated.
    Thats why im confused, I have ruled out the normal issues.
    Any other ideas?

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know what your chicken has. There's not enough information. But I can tell you that if she was vaccinated for Marek's, but had exposure to Marek's before the vaccine, or within a few weeks after, she could have it regardless. But I'm not saying she has it. But I've seen vaccinated chickens get it-maybe unwanted exposure, or human error with the vaccine.

8. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is my question: can a chicken get Marek's, even though it has been vaccinated against it? In people, this type of situation does come up.

Edited to add: wrote this before the pp posted her response. So, one person thinks it's possible.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  9. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    You know I have been quite worried about this being the answer myself :(

10. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Ok, the more I am reading about Merrick's the more confused I am becoming.
    My hen is not paralyzed, she can move both of her legs, her wings, and her neck, she just cant keep her balance and stay standing.
    However, her muscle tone seems to just be disintegrating. I de-wormed her a third time with Valbazen to rule out worms, she is still eating (I have to hold her legs under her and prop her up though) and she is still drinking.
    Could it be a genetic thing? Or a brain injury of some sort that screwed up her balance from to much breeding by the rooster?

Im also starting to think it is cruel to keep her alive, should I cull her at this point?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by