Hen carrying wings low and wide

kwaple001

Chirping
Nov 8, 2016
I had 5, (now 4 since I lost my Plymouth Barred Rock) young hens that are about 10 months old; a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Golden Buff (Red Star), Buckeye and Rhode Island Red. I don't have a rooster. I'm pretty sure the Rhode Island is the boss, then perhaps the Wyandotte. The Buckeye has feathers missing at the base of her neck where it meets her back. I've never been around to observe the pecking, but the missing feathers are pretty obvious and I see no signs of them growing back. I go out and let them free range under supervision everyday. The Golden Buff is especially friendly and if you have a bag of meal worm she will follow you to the end of the earth and has no problem being held. The Rhode Island is relatively amenable to being picked up. The Buckeye, just so-so and the Wyandotte is pretty shy. Today I noticed the Golden Buff was carrying her wings somewhat low and slightly away from her body, so was the Buckeye. Is this a significant piece of body language that is meaningful? I'm just trying to get to know them as best I can so I know if something is off. Any long time hen owners want to share any wisdom with a newbie? One other thing. when should I expect them to begin to molt?. They'll be 1 year old on Oct 31.

Is this a significant piece of body language that is meaningful?
Probably just means they are hot and are trying to shed some body heat by exposing the skin under their wings.

Is it hot where you are?
Are they panting too?
IME panting happens before wings spreading when it's hot out.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

My chickens usually do that when it is hot outside. They will start by panting and if that doesn't help them they will spread there wings low and away from their bodies. Just make sure they have enough water and shade, a cool breeze would help too.

Back
Top Bottom