1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen cat move feet/ toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by domino2339, Jan 20, 2017.

1. domino2339

domino2339 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Michigan
    Ok sorry to bother you guys, but I need guidance. I went out to do my choir today and notice that one of my fall hatchlings was missing. Well just about 30min ago I found her in the run just laying down. I rushed her into the house to get her warm. She has what looks like she was pecked or cut on top of her head. I'm thinking hawk. She will not stand on her feet. When I put my fingers by her toes she tries to move them and I can feel some muscle movement. I can't find any more cuts or injuries. What could make her not want to stand on her feet? I just gave her some water and yogurt. I'll post some photos soon. Really don't want to lose her, she is a fighter.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Is she having any diarrhea? Has she drunk water or eaten since you found her? I would keep her warm in a basket or crate inside overnight (at least) with food and water close to her. You can clean her wound with saline, betadine, or spray it with Vetericyn or BluKote. Offer her some chopped egg. She may be in shock at first, so let her rest in a dim quiet area overnight. In the morning you may be able to examine her more thoroughly for other wounds. Plain Neosporin ointment is good to apply on wounds if you don't have Vetericyn. If she is alert and standing, she may be alright. Sometimes chickens can be attacked because they are acting sick or weak, so it may help to check her over for any signs of sickness.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have been injured somehow in a fall or from the possible attack. In the morning, I would lift her if she is still down, and try to determine if she can stand or walk, if she moves her toes or resists you. Dehydration, and several other problems such as Mareks disease or vitamin deficiencies can cause lameness. Even something like coccidiosis may cause weakness so much that it may be hard to walk or balance. This could be just and injury that she may heal from with some TLC. Let us know how she is doing in the AM.

4. domino2339

domino2339 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Michigan
    She is a 4 month barnyard mix. When I found her I cleaned her head a bit. I gave her some scrambled egg and yogurt. I gave her some chick saver in her water. She is eating very well and drinking. I really don't know how long she was with out food. My husband was nice today and let the girls out after dropping of the kids at school. I didn't notice her missing till I went to gather eggs. She is alert and wants to walk her legs move it's just her feet and toes. I can feel some movement in the toes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by