Hen Cawing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZoeZoo, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ZoeZoo

ZoeZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    I've done all the things to tell if my leghorn lady is a rooster or not, and she is most definitely a girl. She doesn't have spurs, no roo-tail, her comb is flopped over and she's the smallest (compared to my other 3 red hens.), I've done lots of other comparisons and she looks nothing like a rooster. She's likely the alpha and Also, she's due to lay any day now!

Today Miss Leghorn got out of the pen and started roaming the yard. When I went outdoors she was probably 100 feet from the other hens. She started Cawing (not really crowing) like a crow! I had to look up to make sure there weren't any crows around, but she sounded EXACTLY like a crow! Not "cock-a-doodle-doo!" but "Caw-Ka-Caw". I understand Roosters start out with silly crows, but it seems whenever one of the chickens get separated from the others they make a similar
    -but less loud and crow like- noise. What does it mean? Just seperation or should I start calling her Him? I really love roosters and don't mind the noise, but I'm not sure my family would feel the same. She's such a sweetie and I couldn't bear to see her go! [​IMG]

I can get pics later, but I assure you, she looks like a hen [​IMG]

2. ZoeZoo

Sep 24, 2011
    LOL she just laid her first egg! Sassy girl [​IMG] , making me worry about her gender!
    Whatta relief, maybe it was her egg-song? Was she just lonely?
    I am SO relieved, I'm glad my lady is a lady! It's like she could read my mind.. [​IMG]

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

WOOT!

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG]

6. ZoeZoo

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks so much everyone! This forum is SO friendly! [​IMG] so does anybody know what the crow noises were? I am SO thrilled about this egg, even more so than the first brown! I was terrified she was a rooster! [​IMG]

I'll be posting pics on my blog soon, but if you like animals you might want to check out some of the other posts [​IMG] https://www.zoeslovelylittlezoo.blogspot.com

[​IMG]

7. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    My hens make the cawing noise too! I think its normal so dont worry [​IMG]

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Leghorns can be difficult to sex when they are at POL. Those young gals can have large combs, large ear lobes and are quite vocal. One of JGs (Little Sister) likes to honk to get her point across.

9. ZoeZoo

Sep 24, 2011
    Well, she's still laying so she's decided to stay a woman [​IMG][​IMG]
    So they're just being vocal? *phew*

10. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:I had already renamed my Annabelle "Andrew" because I was certain she was a rooster. She laid an egg the next day!!! Yeah for your girl!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by