hen chases the rooster off lol

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blueseal, Dec 15, 2008.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have a 6 month old buff roo doesnt crow much and i been seeing the hens shoo him every time he trys to mount kinda funny hes scared of the hens

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You have two roos correct? My subordinate roo tends to be afraid of his own shadow and won't crow if my alpha roo is around. The sub is at least twice the size of my alpha roo and has no idea that he could beat the alpha were they to fight.
    I love watching the roos. They have such personalities.

3. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:accutally have 3 2 6months 1 3yr old older one comes to hens rescue when the other roos start mounting would like to find home for at least one of the young .roos 13 hens 3 roos

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:In a way I guess your older roo is coming to the hen's rescue, but what he's actually doing is preventing the younger roos (his subordinates) from mating. As the alpha roo, that's his job. Nature has programmed it into his brain to always be the one to father offspring. If you'll notice, alot of times after the alpha chases a subordinate off a hen the alpha will turn right around and mate that same hen as soon as he's done chasing the sub.
    I agree, too many roosters for 13 hens. They'll overmate the hens or at least try and that'll stress the hens out.
    You might be able to get away with two roos, especially if the younger one continues to be submissive to the older, alpha roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by