Hen chasing others out of the coop

Auntie Moose

Songster
5 Years
Jun 27, 2016
Colorado
I have six hens, four laying, one "retired" and one just gave up the laying habit (she's not old). All six have been cooping up at night just fine, but recently one of them has decided that three of the others should find somewhere else to sleep! She stands at the coop door and won't let them in. They have plenty of room, three roosts, they lay in the same box, they get along during the day. Right now the three who are left out are sleeping under the coop (the coop is on tall legs and it's about two feet off the ground). What should my approach be here?

Not sure of your set up, but ours is smaller. We had an issue of our top hen pecking at and chasing the other 5. We put up a divider in the middle of the roosting bars. This helped tremendously! Old Mama would find her spot and not pay much attention to the others coming in.

What's the breed of the hen? Where is she in the pecking order? Is she laying? Has she been spending a lot of time in the coop/nesting box? Is there a chance she's gone, or is going, broody?

What's the breed of the hen? Where is she in the pecking order? Is she laying? Has she been spending a lot of time in the coop/nesting box? Is there a chance she's gone, or is going, broody?
She's a Blue Andalusian, still laying, never gone broody, second in the pecking order behind the oldest hen and she never goes into the coop unless she's laying, going to sleep, or if it's super cold out.

I'd grab her and not let her do that....put her in the coop after the others have roosted.

Dimensions and pics of your coop and run would help here.
Grabbing her until everyone else is in is the next move. The coop is not the issue; she has lived there with five other chickens her whole life without problem. The run is 20x10 ft.

I have six hens, four laying, one "retired" and one just gave up the laying habit (she's not old). All six have been cooping up at night just fine, but recently one of them has decided that three of the others should find somewhere else to sleep! She stands at the coop door and won't let them in. They have plenty of room, three roosts, they lay in the same box, they get along during the day. Right now the three who are left out are sleeping under the coop (the coop is on tall legs and it's about two feet off the ground). What should my approach be here?
Pick them up put them inside throw her out? LOl

Back
Top Bottom