Hen&Chicks&Other chickens.

alex

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Will the other chickens i have peck the chicks while they are free ranging around the yard with there mother?
And, will i have to seperate the hen&chicks away from the rest of my chickens.

smile.png

Alex, i find that some breeds are more aggressive toward the babies than the others. I had one hen raise her babies seperate in a cage for the first few weeks and they were all kinda aggressive toward them all when i let them back into the flock. So the next 3 hens i let hatch eggs were given a special area to raise the chicks....but its an area sectioned off to keep the chicks from getting away from the momma. The other chickens can get right in if they want. This way they are never completely seperated from the flock. I have not had any problems doing it this way. I hope it made sense.....i will try to find a picture of the are to show you.

Wendy

OK......here is an example. This is just a box that is low to the ground for the silkies to lay eggs in. I used this for the first week for the silkie to take care of the babies. I then moved them to a bigger one on the ground. I think if they are free ranging they would be even less likely to bother the chicks because they will be so occupied with everything. I hope i helped some. I wasnt really sure if you had day olds or some ready to hatch or getting them soon.......but i know mine have been great if the babies are raised in the flock.

BLRW2006.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom