Hen & chicks, what to feed besides flockraiser?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jan 12, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thinking ahead to when my broody's eggs hatch....what can I feed the flock in that coop when there is no flockraiser type food available around here?

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    What do you have available? Chick starter, or other high protein food would work. You just want to make sure you have enough protein for the chicks.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What's generally available at the co-op is:
    Chick starter (unmedicated is hard to find, but may be available)
    Grower feed
    Layer pellets and crumbles
    Black Rooster (which is a gamebird feed), low in protein 13% and low in calcium. I use it as a scratch.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

chick starter or grower would work for the whole flock, just put the oyster shell out for the adult girls

5. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    If they are separated from your laying flock, there's no harm in feeding medicated, if that's all they have. It's not an antibiotic, it just changes their gut chemistry so they are less susceptible to cocci.

Your broody won't be laying for a while anyway. If broody and babies are going to be running with the rest of the flock, I might go for the grower. It should have high protein. I don't see much difference it it and starter. I guess starter may be finer, and have some grit incorporated.

Avoid layer as it has too little protein, and too much calcium. The scratch stuff wouldn't be a good idea either.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay, thanks y'all. I have to make a trip to the feed store this week and I'll ask ahead of time if grower is available. The chicks and mama will be with the rest of the flock, so grower seems like the best choice. I have a container of oyster shell in the coop all the time anyhow.

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have been mixing non-medicated chick starter & layer feed together. I don't know if this is the right thing to do but so far has worked for me. I do keep oyser shell out at all times for the hens.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:That works too! I've mixed Chick Starter, non med, with Layena (both by Purina) and they did well. Just leave the oyster shells and grits for those who needs it.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've got some 13 week olds with the flock right now. The entire flock free ranges, but I also feed Grower/Developer with Oyster Shell on the side. My Tractor Supply often does not have Grower/Developer, so sometimes they get unmedicated Starter or maybe just straight Grower. I prefer the Grower/Developer but I don't stress out about it. In a month and a half, I'll go back to Layer unless I get a broody and hatch more chicks.

I do not feed Layer to young chicks since, as I know you know, the extra calcium can damage growing chicks kidneys and lead to bone deformation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by