hen choking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happinesshill, Aug 31, 2010.

1. happinesshill

happinesshill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Hi, new here...my hen is probably choking on something. She keeps swallowing hard, bobbing her head and foam is coming out of her mouth. I tried to look into her throat but I don't see anything. She is walking some and seems to be breathing (although heavily) Any advice? Will she die?
  2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    That sounds pretty serious... how does her crop feel? Is it hard or squishy or normal? Feel in her neck — can you feel anything that could cause her to choke? How old is she and does she free-range?
  3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    One of my hens had almost the same thing (except no foaming at the beak). She was wheezing too. Sounded like something was stuck in her throat. I made the mistake of grabbing her to try to massage her throat and crop, but just caused her major trauma by making her panic and breathe even harder and struggle. Her comb turned purple and she was croaking/gasping like you wouldn't believe. I thought she was going to drop dead right then. But when we put her on the floor of the coop and left her alone, she was fine the next morning. I would never have believed it.

So whatever it is, if she's having trouble breathing, make sure she stays CALM.
  4. happinesshill

happinesshill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    my grandma told me to put some oil down her throat, so i used vegetable oil in a dropper. it seemed to help. went back down there and she is fine, walking around, pecking, back to her old self.
    strange. thanks for your responses!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by