Hen closing one eye. It looks fine, but I know something's up.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by K-12 Chickens, Aug 3, 2011.

1. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    One of my 7 hens called Velvet who is an Isa Brown has been closing her right eye as if it's irritated. The eye looks fine but it has to be something! She just started doing it today and acts fine. I want to make sure this isn't something contagious because if it is I need to get it under control immediately.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Does anyone have any idea what this could be caused from? [​IMG]

3. EchoLakeHens

EchoLakeHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I have a hen who started doing that last week and now she closes both eyes. I have no idea what it is nor can I find any information on it. It started out with just one eye, now its both and she pretty much just closes them all day. I feel really bad for her because I don't know what it is or how to treat it. It seems like nobody has had any luck with a chicken that started out like that. I gave her and all the other ones some antibiotics yesterday. The rest of my hens seem to be having cold symptoms now. If you find anything out, could you please let me know. I don't want to lose my hen or any other chickens. Good luck, I hope she gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by