Hen clucking before eggs are hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lacey1988, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Is it normal for a hen to start clucking before her eggs hatch??? when mine comes out to eat and drink she calls up her "imaginary chicks but she always goes back in????
    Also one of her eggs broke and yoke got all in the nest what do I do???
    The egg shell was stuck to her butt and fell off in the pen I removed it......

2. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    anybody??

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    It's the holiday weekend. Think about the clucking - we can hear the chicks when they peep, the chicks can probably hear the hen if she is clucking to them before the hatch.

As for the egg mess I would try to clean as much of it out from around the eggs as possible. If the brood cbox/cage is outdoors the mess can attract ants, not something you want when the babies hatch.

4. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    shes only been sitting on em for a week

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Clucking normal and function of hormonal changes needed for hen to bond with and rear chicks. Behavioral switches not thrown, rather they are gradual. Some hens / breeds start the clucking earlier in the incubation sequence. Behavior may keep unwanted attention from rooster at a minimum.

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes, mine always make this noise too, starting from the beginning of the incubation. As to the broken egg, just clean it up and remove the dirty nest material as best you can without disturbing her or the nest too much. Do it while she's off the nest, or failing that, after dark. Should be fine. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by