1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen combs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vicki017, Apr 5, 2016.

1. vicki017

vicki017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    I've been looking through threads and had a quick question, is it possible for hens to have ANY pink in their combs at 4 weeks old? I know some breeds mature faster then others though. The problem is I've posted about my assorted chicks which I found out are barred rock and white rock (forgot the full name of it) and me and others on here are pretty sure the white one who I named Roo is a male but I've noticed very little hint of pink in the barred rock but it looks female according to its feather pattern and I'm wondering if it's possible females can have pink combs at 4 weeks? My other chickens are Easter Eggers and Rhode island reds. Easter Eggers have no combs that are noticeable so I assume female and my rhode island reds have larger combs than anyone however those are completely yellow. I've been driving myself crazy about these things and I already have one male I don't want to loose anyone else! (Will post pics in next part)

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Very light pink or yellowish pink is common in a pullet, whereas bright or dark pink or red is often indicative of a cockerel.

3. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016
    Here's the male

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the barred rock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The others I just realized I don't have good recent pictures of them or the picture is red from a heat lamp so I'll take more pics tomorrow

4. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016

Ah okay so it might still be a she then

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They still look like pullets to me.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Yep, it's too young to really tell for sure but no one is screaming cockerel yet.

7. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016
    Oh really? I was really sure this white one is a male since its starting to get red at the base and into its comb from what I can tell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by