Hen Completely Disappeared!

Patinas

Songster
Mar 22, 2017
Washington
I discovered yesterday morning that one of my Blue Andalusians was missing. I immediately thought maybe she hadn't made it back to the coop the night before but it was rather dark when I closed the run gate the previous night so that didn't really make sense to me. Also, I've had that happen once before where a hen didn't make it back in and spent the night outside but I discovered her hanging out near the coop the next morning. No sign of this hen anywhere.

The day before it was dark and rainy all day and while I did let them out to free range, I nor our dog were outside with them much due to the rain. So I got to thinking something must have got her.

I went investigating and looking for any sign of her. I walked the entire property and never found a single feather or sign that she ever existed! What I did find though is fresh coyote scat in the middle of the paved private road right near our driveway about 40 yards from the coop.

We've been here about 14 months and I've never seen a coyote or even heard one which is weird since we are rural and have wild rabbits running around. When I lived in the city, I saw and heard them all the time. I know they are here, I just haven't seen or heard any sign of them until I found the scat yesterday.

At this point I'm convinced that a coyote must have grabbed her in the late afternoon before I discovered her missing. Seems that a coyote could definitely carry her off to eat her elsewhere and since she wasn't an overly large hen, would be easy for a coyote to do a snatch and grab.

The other thing with this particular hen is she was always very curious of things that came in the yard including deer. I can see where if she saw a coyote, she may have even approached it.

Never heard any noises from the flock but it is strange that I find fresh coyote scat at the same time I'm missing my hen. Never seen a skunk, bobcat or a fox around here either but I have seen a few raccoons, possums and one young cougar about a mile from our house since we moved here.

I feel bad if that's what happened to her while they were out free ranging because I'm really diligent about keeping an eye on them when they are out but the rain kept me inside.

I'm pretty sure she didn't just wander off so after finding the scat, I rigged up my game camera and have it pointed it at the coop. No signs of anything trying to get into the coop or run but I'm assuming if it is a coyote, he will be lurking now that he's found an easy food source. Hopefully I can catch it on the game camera. Either way, the rifle is loaded and at the ready now that I know one is in the area.

Here is a pic of the scat. Pretty sure this is coyote!

scat small.jpg

I'm so sorry about your bird.

Andalusians are such wonderful chickens!

We have a LOT of coyotes around our house, yet I've never heard a howl or yip. The only way we even know they're around is because they show up on trail cams.

I had a young bird disappear from my coop last week. Turns out my neighbors dog got in it and packed her off. My husband found her in his yard.

I think it's worse not knowing because then you really don't know what you're up against. I hope you get some answers.

Sorry again :(

@theuglychick Thanks, I am sad that she's gone. You're right, I would actually feel better if I could have found any sign of her whether it be some feathers or her carcass. At least I would know for sure what happened and have a better chance of figuring out what got her.

I've let my nearest neighbors know in case she turns up in their yards. I'm convinced she's not coming back at this point. My hens never forage very far from the coop so I don't believe she just walked off on her own.

I've had the game camera for quite awhile and when I had it up and working, only thing we saw on it were deer so I took it down for several months. Now that it's pointing at the coop, I'll check it daily and see if anything shows up.

It's just weird to me we never see or hear them. Like I said in my original post, when we lived in the city, we saw and heard them pretty regularly.

One other thing to consider -- mark the calendar, because many a hen has disappeared, feared lost/eaten, only to show up about a month later with babies in tow. Is it possible that she has a hidden nest somewhere?

Highly unlikely since I don't have rooster and she wasn't exhibiting any broody behaviors. There is a rooster about a 1/4 mile away because I hear him crowing but again, highly doubtful she went looking for him. I've asked on here before if hens will go looking for a roo man and the consensus was, that they don't do that. Still, a good suggestion to mark the calendar because I don't have any concrete evidence that she's dead.

Highly unlikely since I don't have rooster and she wasn't exhibiting any broody behaviors. There is a rooster about a 1/4 mile away because I hear him crowing but again, highly doubtful she went looking for him. I've asked on here before if hens will go looking for a roo man and the consensus was, that they don't do that. Still, a good suggestion to mark the calendar because I don't have any concrete evidence that she's dead.

Ah, well she won't be bringing back any little ones. But hens without fertile eggs still get broody. I hate to think the worst! :( Especially when there is no definite evidence.

3 days in and no sign of my hen <sigh>. Also no other signs of a coyote and nothing on the game camera so far. The more time I've had to accept that she's not coming back, the more upset I've been. Part of me feels like I failed her by letting them out to free range and not keeping a close eye on them that day like I always do. That was the first time I didn't keep a close eye on them.

I have decided that as the fall/winter rains set in, I will not let them out to free range if I and/or the dog can't be out to keep vigil over them.

A few people have said to me... "it's just a chicken". Well yeah, it was a chicken but I raised that chicken from two days old! It's kinda like when you lose a pet dog or cat and people say..."it's just a dog" or "just a cat". Well, no it's not!!

I admit I wasn't attached to this particular chicken as much as my dog but dang! The only white egg layers I have in my flock were my Blue Andalusians and now every time I go to the coop and see only one white egg, I feel bad!

I honestly think it would help a lot if I just knew what happened to her rather than just guessing.

I know I'm not the first and won't be the last to go through this, but it is a first for me to lose one and not know what actually happened.

Same thing kinda happened to my neighbor. She had a chicken disappear and thought a coyote must have gotten it. After a very long time it showed up back at home with 11 babies. The hen laid her eggs under one of their sheds or something. I hope your chicken is okay and returns home.

Same thing kinda happened to my neighbor. She had a chicken disappear and thought a coyote must have gotten it. After a very long time it showed up back at home with 11 babies. The hen laid her eggs under one of their sheds or something. I hope your chicken is okay and returns home.

@WVduckchick suggested that but I don't have a rooster. Hen was not exhibiting any broody behavior before she disappeared. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Back
Top Bottom